Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 09-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #1
homeownerguy

Black cleft slate, anything to do for this damage?

Hi All, I am now the owner of a house with cleft black slate floors that seem to have some sort of damage. To my untrained eye it like some sort of product was allowed to be left pooled and it damaged the the top-most layer on some of the tiles. Here are pictures of the most egregious examples: Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  24.1 KB

Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  42.4 KB

Name:  image3.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  41.2 KB

What might have caused this? Is there anything I (or a professional) can do to fix or hide this?
Unread 09-06-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
homeownerguy

Just went back to check my assumptions and realized that the spots are not in the stone, but on top of it! Tried my 1in putty knife to scrape and it scrapes off. I stopped right there though to check on what the right tools would be to scrape off whatever these spots actually are. Any recommendations?
Unread 09-08-2017, 10:56 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

The most appropriate thing to use for a natural stone floor for routine maintenance is a stone specific pH neutral cleaner. You'll find such at most places that sell stone tile.

If you wanna start with something right away, start with water and a rag. Avoid anything that's acidic. No acid cleaners. No vinegar solutions.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2017, 01:00 AM   #4
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

thats a word you dont hear everyday....egregious
Unread 09-10-2017, 02:34 AM   #5
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I heard it on t.v. once LOL

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
homeownerguy

Over the last couple of weeks I tried a few things:

1) Putty knife scrapping. Kinda works, takes forever, smoothes out finish (like sanding), and doesn't produce great results. Abandoned it after a couple of these hard water deposits.
2) CLR and Vinegar. Didn't do a thing.
3) Sulfamic acid: 1 tablespoon per 1 cup of water, this started to produce results, but required 15 minutes of scrubbing per stain. Too long, as I have dozens upon dozens of them.
4) Sulfamic acid: 3-4 tablespoons per 1 cup of water. Taking a spot cleaning approach this allowed me to scrub off the hard water deposits in a fraction of time.

I paused again because I am facing another problem. The surface deposit seems to be gone (can't feel it with by running nail across it), but a lighter shadow of the original deposit can still be seen. Picture below.

What do you think this lighter outline is? Can it be removed, covered, or blended? Besides sulfamic acid, anything else I can try for other extreme hard water deposits that I have?
Attached Images

Unread 10-04-2017, 07:16 AM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Maxim,

I think it might be a topical sealer that was used on the stone and not used correctly. If you can determine what it is you can obtain a stripper for it.

Once again, no vinegar or other acid products on the slate. It won't work, and it might damage your stone beyond repair.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2017, 07:33 AM   #8
homeownerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bridge View Post
Hi Maxim,

I think it might be a topical sealer that was used on the stone and not used correctly. If you can determine what it is you can obtain a stripper for it.

Once again, no vinegar or other acid products on the slate. It won't work, and it might damage your stone beyond repair.

Thank you. I don't have contact with the prior owner, and doubt she would have info anyway. I found this in the closet. It's full, so chances are that it wasn't used.

http://www.afmsafecoat.com/products/...eal-semi-gloss

Other than that, what could I try to test the sealant theory?
Unread 10-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #9
homeownerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeownerguy View Post
Thank you. I don't have contact with the prior owner, and doubt she would have info anyway. I found this in the closet. It's full, so chances are that it wasn't used.

http://www.afmsafecoat.com/products/...eal-semi-gloss

Update: original tiler said he used Sealers Gold Choice on this tile. What would work to remove that specific product?

Other than that, what could I try to test the sealant theory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 10-05-2017, 07:37 AM   #10
stu rosen

Your slate is most likely very dense(roofing quality) and not at all porous. You can easily test it by puddling a palm sized puddle of water on the surface(on a piece that hasn't been sealed). If there is sealer residue on the surface that can generally mean that it was misapplied and a sign that the material is quite dense. There are several ways to refinish(return it back to original finish) your stone. We would use a nylo grit brush 180 grit along with a high alkaline cleaner.Then we would finish using a 500 grit nylo grit brush to bring back the color. Final step may be a color enhancer but that depends on the stone. My best advice to you is to have a professional stone refinisher have a look at it.
Unread 10-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #11
Azcleanfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bridge View Post
Hi Maxim,

Why not acid?

Unread 10-06-2017, 06:09 AM   #12
stu rosen

We use acids on slate -we always test first but generally slates are acid resistant.
There is a good assortment of acidic products on the market that work well.
Unread 10-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #13
homeownerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu rosen View Post
We use acids on slate -we always test first but generally slates are acid resistant.

There is a good assortment of acidic products on the market that work well.

On my slate, I ran an experiment and left concentrated sulfamic acid until it dried out. Washed it off and couldn't tell side that was acid washed vs one that wasn't. Pretty sure the sample tile wasn't sealed either.

Unread 10-08-2017, 02:16 AM   #14
Azcleanfreak

99% of the time acid won’t harm slate. It is always good to test though.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase