Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 07-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
lasdj

Help!! New Porcelain Tile with Haze

My wife and I had someone help with our 300sq ft kitchen with grey porcelain matte tile (12x24). After applying the grout and removing the haze we noticed the haze was still there after drying. We didn't notice it much after the 2nd wiped down because they were sanded our ceiling (we had redone our entire ceiling and re-painted along with sand).

After all was completed they tried to remove the haze but its stuck there now. We tried mr clean which was maybe a bad idea, but it still didnt get rid of it. Then we went the route of using Bleach on our tiles on certain areas and it made it worse.

Then we went to Home Depot and bought 511 Sealer & Enhancement and tried it on a tile off to the side and it works well. It kept it shining and could not see the haze anymore. However after reading some more around the threads, I found out that I should not be using it.

So now my questions is:
1) How to remove the extra haze (we cleaned it almost 4 times around already)

2) Has the bleach ate through the tiles because its a little white? We tried sanding it and it helped but did not want to go that route.

3) When using the 511 sealer it works great, I like the dark wet color however I read it would not stay because this is porcelain tiles. Is there a way to give it the wet look (also with wet look, we will not see the haze, or the white streak that is probably left from the bleach as well).

Thanks and sorry for the long story. Let me know if you need any more details. Also the haze has been there for over 4 days already and we are all out of ideas.

Last edited by lasdj; 07-29-2013 at 11:35 PM.
lasdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
dhowardpeters
Overthinkin' wife of a caveman

I've read of success with Blaze and Lift-Off, but I believe always in reference to epoxy or Fusion Pro grouts. I'm sure a pro will be by shortly
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #3
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

You should first remove the sealer with something like Aldon Premium Stripper,and some rags.
Then remove the grout haze with a grout haze remover,straight vinegar,or sulfamic acid crystals,and a stiff brush and wetvac.

http://www.aldonchem.com/section-products.htm

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi John

1. Any of the products Dave suggested for grout haze removal (not the Aldon product).

2. The bleach only reacted with the grout haze, it did not eat through the tile. Do not continue sanding the tiles.

3. There are cases that the enhancer will work with porcelain tiles. If you choose to go that route, I strongly suggest you resolve getting the tiles clean first. After the tile & grout is completely dry you can consider doing another TEST area with the enhancer. I have had best success with Aqua Mix Enrich 'n Seal. All excess must be removed and tiles buffed before the enhancer dries on the surface. This holds true if a regular impregnating sealer is used as well.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
lasdj

thanks everyone for your feedback. i feel so relieved, i thought i ruined it real bad. i will go the route of getting a grout haze remover.

is there any specific brand i should buy and any special technique i should use as well.

after cleaning the tiles hopefully i will be able to try a enhancer, my only concern is that would it wear off fast since its a matte porcelain tile? also would it become more slippery or slippery when wet (water spills)?

thanks!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase