Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Other forums > Computer Training

Sponsors

Unread 05-27-2019, 08:10 PM   #1
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Photo recovery from iPhone SE?

Got a two-year old iPhone SE with several thousand photos. The full 32 gigs of storage are full. So, the intention was to remove 16 gigs of photos by pulling them onto the Mac via a program called iPhoto.

Upon plugging the phone in, the computer only recognized 63 pictures as being “new” out of the thousands. So, they were selected and loaded onto the computer. Then iPhoto’s asked to delete the 63 pictures from the phone. Said, “Yes”....then BLAM-O!!! 100% of all photos and all folders vanished from the phone. The photo section is blank, as though it’s a brand new phone.

Nothing in “Recently deleted”. No folders of photos, whatsoever. Yet...the phone’s “Settings” still report that the phone is using all 32 gigs of storage...so I think the photos are still in the phone...somewhere. But to add insult to injury, the phone has suddenly started shutting down after a minute of turning it on. So it’s pretty hard to hunt around.

Phone hasn’t been backed up in 66 weeks. No iCloud storage.

Anyone have experience with this or with buying a data recovery program to extract photos?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-28-2019, 10:27 PM   #2
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
That stinks Kurt. I'm afraid I don't know anything at all about iPhones. I hope someone else on here has a clue.
davem is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2019, 10:46 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg

Thanks, Dave. I've deleted a couple of superfluous apps, so it's no longer maxed-out on storage. That seems to be the trigger that has given the phone a 4 minute window of staying on before automatically shutting off versus just a minute.

I've tried 2 commercial data recovery programs, but neither did squat.

But in swapping between programs, iPhoto suddenly recognized 1,000 pictures that popped up in the phone. I quickly got those loaded on the big computer. It's only 1/7th the total photos...but it's welcome progress, nevertheless.

And the phone is reporting "recovery..." within the iPhoto app. While there's no movement on this, I'm going to leave it plugged into the computer overnight, since is *seems* like the computer and phone are talking to each other. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Unread 06-05-2019, 01:31 AM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg

Update:

Photos have been retrieved. In short, the lack of memory seems to have been the culprit.

The process went something like this:
-Phone had a ton of photos, but The was nothing was visible in the “camera roll”.
-Phone was extremely full on memory.
-1-2 Gb of memory was freed up by deleting non-essential stuff and that allowed the phone to recognize and propagate ~1,000 photos into the camera roll.
-But with the propagation of photos, the little bit of freed-up memory was consumed.
-More memory was freed by deleting more non-essential stuff.
-And another ~1,000 photos propagated onto the camera roll.
-This cycle was repeated multiple times and, eventually, all the photos propagated back into the camera roll.
-By the last cycle, the phone no longer went into automatic shut down.
-Entire operation took several hours.

After the photos were retrieved, did some basic housekeeping with cleaning away extra stuff and backing things up. The result was the complete functionality of the phone being restored.

If I could do it all over again, I’d delete ~5Gb of apps (which isn’t hard to do if the app has a bunch of accompanying data) from the moment I lost the pictures. Not positive, but this might have saved me all annoying shutdowns and slow incremental restoration.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase