Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-18-2018, 05:02 AM   #1
Mags438

Granite repair

Hi all, it has been a while since Ive been here but am hoping I can get some advice. I have a granite top on a shower-tub combo. It has been cracking where the granite meets the tile along the interior wall. Is it really possible to repair this in place? What skill type should I look for?

Also another question. I hired a designer to help me get a tile backsplash done in a kitchen. The kitchen was totally remodeled a few years ago, sans the backsplash. The tile quote included a price from an installer who has never seen the job. There is some prep work that needs to be done behind stove (due to moving the pot filler a few inches during install). When I asked to meet the tile contractor, I seem to be experiencing some resistance from the designer that it is leaving a bad taste. (I just recently had a handyman contractor try to jack up the price on me the morning they were supposed to start (and they saw the job beforehand). Their initial price was pricey to begin with but I was going to do it since I wanted the job completed. I declined to be hi-jacked further).
How do I avoid a similar situation as what i just experienced with another contractor? In the past when dealing with designers, it was for the entire room re-do - this is just for backsplash. When you work thru a designer do you guys look at the job or just let designer price the tile job? Thanks and Appreciate your input.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2018, 05:43 AM   #2
Kman

Welcome back, Margaret.

I can't picture how the granite is set with a tub/shower combo, but I'm not sure it's relevant.

It can be "repaired" with an epoxy resin, colored to match the granite, just like what would be used on a seam. However, if you don't find out why it cracked and fix that problem, it'll just crack again. In the end, you may just be looking at full replacement.

To avoid any confusion with estimates, get everything in writing, including any specifications you have, and exactly what is to be done by the installer. It's difficult to argue when it's on paper.

However, understand that when a remodel is being done, it's not unusual to run into other problems that need to be addressed, problems that could not be foreseen at the time of the estimate. Sometimes if it's something small, we just do it and move on. If it's going to take a significant amount of labor and time, then the homeowner is immediately informed. Of course, stop and get that on paper as well before moving forward.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
Mags438

So how often does a pro tiler put a quote in writing without seeing the job first? Is this common practice? Do you allow designers you work with to see and quote the tile install job for you, without you seeing it? Itís a single tile job, not part of a large reno project.

Just looking for advice; perhaps seeing the job isnít important as i think it should be? Perhaps letting others quote your job (and you will honor it) a common practice? I m just really trying to understand where this designer is coming from.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
rmckee84

1. I can't think of a time that I have ever given a price without seeing the situation. There's too many variables involved for me to do so.

2. I dont have a designer I would trust to do that. Not have I met one that I would consider competent enough to price a job for me.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:32 PM   #5
Mags438

Thank you, I didnít think things had changed that much.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #6
cx
Da Home Builder

1. Margaret, we have tile pros on here who indicate they will give quotes over the phone, but I'm with Ryan. I won't give a quote for any kind of work without first visiting the site and seeing the conditions. Just doesn't make good sense to me.

2. The only designer I've ever worked with was one of my best repeat customers and we finally decided the only part of his projects he was allowed to have much input into was paint colors. And sometimes I had to help him even with that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase