Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 10-13-2002, 08:33 AM   #46
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Who WAS that masked man?

His email address seems to work. The mail doesn't come back undelivered. Maybe ol' Gobis is up to something. Naw, Dave can't spell that well.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 04:06 PM   #47
Dave Gobis
da Man!

I had nothing to do with it ( the tile ranger ) and my trowels aren't rusty, I used them yesterday and will do it again on Tuesday, we run "hands-on classes". Start them with my hands and finish with theirs.

And, Michael don't make the rules, never has, never will. He has had a vote a few times, I think he was a voting member of the last handbook committee, one of 20 some odd. I vote on both ANSI and TCA which are guidelines, not rules. Happen to have a little article on it in the computer, here is how it works:

The Tile Council of America, Inc. (TCA) publishes the Handbook for Ceramic Tile Installation, The Handbook is a guide for anyone who uses, works with or specifies ceramic tile. It clarifies and standardizes installation specifications for ceramic tile in the United States. It is a quick-reference details that outlines most installation methods and conditions such as exterior and interior floors, exterior and interior walls, ceilings and soffits, bathtubs walls, counter tops, renovations, shower receptors, steam rooms, swimming pools, fire-related and sound-related walls, etc. The book provides a guide on recommended uses, limitations, requirements, materials, preparation by other trades, movement joints, installation specifications and references ANSI and ASTM standards. The information presented in the Handbook for Ceramic Tile Installation represents a consensus of more than 23 national and regional organizations.

The United States has used the ANSI (American National Standards Institute) A108 as its standard for installation many years. This document sets the definitions and standards for proper installation of ceramic tile. The A108 was last published in 1999. One of ANSI's requirements is that standards are revisited and re-approved every five years. The Tile Council is approved and recognized as the secretariat for the ANSI standards for the ceramic tile industry. All of the ANSI and ASTM (American Society for Testing Materials) standards, definitions, and methods are subject to open review called transparency. This prevents any one group or industry segment from dominating the process and thus promulgating inferior standards. These standards are designed to act as a platform for establishing commonality between the producer, specifiers, middlemen, installers, and end users. Organizations are invited to participate in the standards generating process. Those that have an identifiable interest are invited to send voting members to the committee meetings. The existing committee then approves new applications. It is not an individual serving on the committee but rather an appointee of the organization he or she represents. The fact that standards are being considered and balloted is published in ANSI notifications such that all potentially interested parties are notified. No legitimate interest is excluded and anyone may submit comments and suggestions to the committees. The make up of the committee is audited by ANSI to confirm that no segment dominates the process. Guests may be invited to sit in on meetings to state any particular viewpoint. Once the committee completes its deliberations a draft of the standard is prepared and submitted to ANSI for balloting. To be considered for a standard all one must do is submit their proposed product, installation specifications, and supporting ASTM recognized test data. For more information you could contact Tile Council of America by email at technical@tileusa.com.

Your all invited to attend.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 04:28 PM   #48
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

Dave, where do I have to go, east coast? Maybe we could have it in Houston? or ....oh geez.... Nebraska??

I'm interested, but you guys have to understand that once I get the grip on the concept, you'll all be out of work. Just my life's story, sorry, I'll end up being better than you. What's the charge for this, and oh, I won't go unless JB's there as an instructor, just to toss in the real day's work load theory into the mix.

Put me down, I'm in. Let me know where and when so I can book in advance, it's the only way to guarantee my conviction. I'd invite others of my ilk to join me and make the attendance (and thus the proceeds) likely to entice Mr. Bridge to help us all out.

my ego's free of charge. And I might prepare brunch if you're really nice!
Sonnie Layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 05:52 PM   #49
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Sonnie, me boy. It's in South Carolina, just across the border from good old Georgia. You can make it there in a day in JJ's sports car.

And you won't need me there. Dave's got a couple of guys older and crustier than I am.

The Ceramic Tile Education Foundation
5326 Highway 76
Pendleton, South Carolina 29670
Tel: 864-222-2131 Fax: 864-222-1299
Email: info@tileschool.org or dave@tileschool.org
Old 10-15-2002, 12:08 PM   #50
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor -- Central Nebraska

Sonnie,
Gobis has said many times he'll go anywhere there is enough interest. I forget what he said his breakeven was but if you can stir up about 14 guys interested in paying the fee I'm sure Dave would hold class anywhere you decide to.

Start a thread Sonnie, talk it up some, hell I'd go, if it was a little closer to home than the Carolinas.

On the subject of Micheal Byrne and his overall authenticity, you guys would laugh your ass's off if you had the information about this charlatan that I have and from my sources. Sorry Rob!

IN MY OPINION...the guy is nothing more than an income producing puppet of his sponsors, with a personal pynchon for dominance and need for stardom. He's always moving on, not up. MB reminds me of Dean and Huff 'n' Puff. (Sorry Rob). Now it's the "Rump Ranger" to his rescue. Ride on masked men.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 07:15 PM   #51
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Whew! If I'd gotten here a minute sooner he would have been on me too. I'm gonna hafta give that guy a title.

Anybody got any mud questions?

Old 10-15-2002, 07:29 PM   #52
John K

Yeah Cline! Watch your step you, Durock stapling, TCA violating, Nebraska livin, tileman.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 08:49 PM   #53
Rob Z

Bud

What is "pynchon"?

Old 10-15-2002, 08:54 PM   #54
Bud Cline

Quote:
by Rump Ranger: Michael is one of the sweetest, nicest and most authoritative guys in this business.
Yea right!!!

MB's nice sweet authoritative style was displayed regularly on his website. I was there, I saw how rude he was to innocent people with sincere questions on a regular basis. The guys a friggin' jerk and everyone knows it. Where is he now?
Old 10-15-2002, 09:02 PM   #55
cx
Da Home Builder

Well, Rob, I think them's them things your pour concrete ones of when you is afixin to, like, build a house or somethin'.

But I can't figger why MB would have him a personal one.

You think maybe Bud don't like MB?
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 10:18 PM   #56
Bud Cline

'Fantasy' Rob.

You know what? John invited MB here many times to participate or just stop in and visit. His requests went unanswered as far as I know.

John among others commented professionaly on MB's board and was shot down.

DIY'ers would ask questions on MB's board and were told to go away if they weren't professional tile people.

My rude can't even begin to compare to MB's rude. The guy is a "kept man", kept by his sponsors. That is/was obvious in his comments on his now defunct website forum as well as throughout his book. The guy is in bed with a few people that pay his bills and is less than honest about it.

It wouldn't have hurt the guy to show his face here and give John Bridge a polite thank you but no thank you. Did he even show John that courtesy? Hell no he didn't. The guy is arrogant.

Then there's the other stories about the guy from a few years back. Even some of his prestigious claims are falsehoods to feed his own ego.

Suddenly along comes the "Rump Ranger" to defend the guys (MB's) actions and criticize me because I call a spade a spade. No one lends any validity to annonymous comments. If the Rump Ranger wants to be heard and to be considered credible in his defense of that balloon head then let him identify himself and quit hiding behind a stupid username.

There, I think I've got it off my chest now, shall we get back to John's Mud Course? If MB has anything to offer then I'm sure he's welcome to chime in.

Oh and one more thing....MB, Rump Ranger, or anyone else....I'm in the book should you care to discuss this a little more privately.

We return you now to your regularly scheduled mud course.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:32 AM   #57
John K

Ok! Back to the mud course. When using the scratch coat method. How long after the scratch coat is applied, do you have to wait before adding the brown coat?

What do you do if the wall is way out, and would require,lets say an 1 1/4 of mud in some areas? How do you get that much to stay up there?

John K
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 08:03 AM   #58
J.L. Burns
Tile Contractor -- California

Send a message via AIM to J.L. Burns
I would be interested Mr. John in knowing your procedure on a shower that is like for example 4 walls and two returns- where by the curb is a a neo type angle in relation to the back walls. How do you plumb your jams? What if the returns is a tiny one say an inch or so. I have seen many of these style showers. Not a corner style daylight shower thats neo angle- just the typical 4 wall 2 return single dam style; in my opinion these are the more complicated of showers; particularly for floatin. I await your response. J.L.

Have Jackhammer will travel, I never told you it wasn't going to be dusty
J.L. Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 08:42 AM   #59
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

Who's MB?

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 02:28 PM   #60
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Cmon Jim, Ya never Heard of Michael Byrne??
He is a Legend in his own MIND!!!!!
tileguytodd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase