Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 08-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #1
smifwal

Shower door disaster averted

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the professional hang out, I thought it might do more good over here. I had a repitpal shower door company that I have used in the past come out and measure for a custom frameless door. None of the showers I have used them for had a glass panel so I never asked how they mount for a shower with a panel. I have always known that you shouldn't drill in to the curb but a recent post from Kman had this in the front of my brain. So I asked,"you don't drill in to the curb for that do you?" His response was oh yeah, un huh, we drill and fill the hole with silicone then drive the screw and silicone on top of that. I said you can't you do a u-channel and silicone it in. Well that really takes away from the structural integrity of the panel if someone wall to fall in to it it would fall right down. Ok so you can silicone it in then?! Yeah but you know we do 5 of these a day and have never had a problem. So how do you want us to install it then? Silicone and U-channel,no penetrations in my curb. Point is no matter how good or highly recommend they may be, always ask the questions that you know you should and don't let them talk you out of what you know is right.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:41 AM   #2
rmckee84

I have yet to run into a company that doesn't drill into curbs....
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:52 PM   #3
smifwal

I can't believe this with all that we know about the problems associated with drilling in to the curb
Attached Images

Old 09-08-2018, 07:56 AM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Shawn, all visitors and members have access to the Professionals' Hangout where we discuss this sort of technical issue rather than overall projects. If someone is looking for information on the issue, they can find it here.

Ryan, I was very fortunate when I started building houses, some 35 years ago, to encounter a glass company who taught me that there is never a need to drill holes through the waterproofing in shower curbs to install glass panels or doors. And, to date, they're the only ones I've encountered that did not require me to tell them not to do that.

Why no one, including code compliance people (who never see that stage of the construction), notices that the part of the building code that says there are to be no penetrations through the shower's waterproofing layer lower than 2" above the curb top still applies after the ceramic tile installation is completed is something I've never really understood. That includes, apparently, even the people at large tile installation product manufacturers such as USG.

And there are many photos here on this website that clearly demonstrate just why that requirement is in place. Shower door installers have ruined many, many fine showers and for no really good reason at all. There are enough simple ways to avoid the problem that it should never occur, especially with all the synthetic bonding materials available today.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I've never been one to try to tell other trades how things should be done, but shower enclosures are the exception. I'm no longer in the installation business, but when I was I told every single glass installer I ran into not to drill through my curb. If asked how it should be done then, my reply was always use something the mounts to the wall, not to the curb.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:23 AM   #6
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Keep drilling glass guys!! You're keeping me in business. Cant tell you how may curbs and showers I have had to replace due to drilling of curbs.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:21 AM   #7
Bellsfloors
Tile, Wood, LVT, Home Renovation Contractor

I fought a glass company that did the same thing to me drilling into my curbs.

4 years ago I had a client that the shower started failing at the curb after about 2 years of service. The glass company did drill into my curb to set the clips for the glass. I took many photos of the disassembly to document the problem. I then went to the glass company that set the frameless system and showed them the problems.. Their comment was why I used wood blocking for a curb? (wood blocking followed up by cbu and Kerdi waterproofing). They said I didn't build it correctly. That told me that they knew nothing about shower systems and waterproofing. I told them it was fully waterproofed prior to their drilling a holes in the curb. Plus the house is a wood framed house, even if it had all been a cbu or concrete shower the wood framing was still at risk from their compromising the waterproofing system.
I gave up trying to talk sense to them and have them do the right thing and pay for my labor to repair the water damage that they caused on my Kerdi shower install.. I bit the bullet and just repaired for free.

I have since done 2 more showers for the customer and told them to never use the same company again on my showers I built. To this day I steer customers away from that glass company...I now recommend a glass company that listens to me about no drilling into the curb.

Flooring-Tile-Waterproof Showers
www.AttentionToPerfection.com
Bellsfloors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The largest residential shower we've ever tiled was 5 ft x 10 ft. It was a steamer that we mudded and added Kerdi over the mud. The doorway was 64 inches wide and had two 32 inch frameless doors. I had to pull off the job a couple weeks to do something else and went back to find that the glass guy had drilled thru the curbs of all 4 showers we had tiled, two holes in the big shower. I was pissed.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase