Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 09-17-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
puke

Mud for large tile.

I lately have subbed out most of my tile work. But we have one coming up we are going to be doing. 24" tile. My normal response is to use the Home Depot (Custom) prodect for Natural Stone/Marble and large tiles. But I see they have a new one called Pro-Lite. This....I haven't seen before. So I checked around and apparently they are selling a lot of it. I am nearly 60 so I can be a bit skeptical when something "new" comes along. However, being 60...I noticed it's quite nice to have a sack of mortar that's not as heavy as I was expecting. The older I get,....the cooler this is. Anyway,..could someone chime in on this? This is going over Redgard. Shower walls (not pan) and bathroom floor. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #2
Joe-Tile

Is a good thinset. Only used it once as i prefer the mapei version. It is thinset or medium bed, with non slump or sag. Good for large format tile. I do like how custom still uses the paper bags. Worst thing mapei did was go to plastic bags.
Joe-Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #3
puke

Maybe I should try it. In the past, Custom's Natural Stone (Marble,Travertine, yada yada yada) thinset did not even mention you could use it for large format porcelain, etc., And they've never bragged about it's performance on walls. To be truthful,..I think on wall's I would be using versabond if it wasn't for the floor I'm doing also. I think these are 12x24 or 10by24,..Something like that.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #4
Joe-Tile

I'm sure you'll like it, just follow the instructions for mixing.
Joe-Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:01 AM   #5
mrberryman

I used Prolite for my first shower job as a DIYer, but used some Mapei Rapid Set on smaller cuts inside of my niches/etc, and my floor. Prolite is lighter for certain, but I found troweling it, especially mixed to the thicker ratio of I think 5.5 or 5.75 quarts of water it was pretty hard to trowel and back butter (with 6 it was more manageable) compared to the Mapei stuff (and the Mapei stuff I ended up really breaking some rules, mixing it pretty thick to a similar ratio or thicker for my floor that was way way out of level, really was a terrible idea but it was the conditions I was given :/...) The other thing is Prolite does have a decent amount of dust compared to Mapei as well, it's a really dusty mortar when mixing it up. I've only used small batches of Versabond in white to mount some mosaics, so I can't compare it one way or the other. Sorry I can't give more info. Oh, for the tub surround walls I used Mapei Aquadefense, so I can say definitively Prolite adheres well to liquid waterproofing membranes. Everything is holding up fine, but it's only been a month, so I can't give conclusive longterm anything on it.

Also, Custom apparently likes Prolite enough to spec it out for airports. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEjbZEXywFU In this advertisement video they have the rapid set version being used in an airport. So that's kinda what sold me on it, figured if it's good enough for an airport, it's good enough for my bathroom.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase