Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 09-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #31
Northmen

Speaking of Laticrete I special ordered 8 bags of XLT a couple of months ago from a local authorized distributor.

All 8 bags were over 2 years old with a manufacture date of April 2016.

I received a refund and bought Mapei UltraFlex Premium. This is the second time I've received outdated Latictrete products that were special ordered.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:16 AM   #32
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

The important thing is that you ended up with a good mortar

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #33
Mr_Stop
Home Remodeler

Sad to hear that Lowe's is considering cutting back their products. Home Depot did this years ago when the GE idiots took over. The rationalized everything to keep mostly the products with high turns (A & B items) and get rid of the slow moving items (C & D items). It made it almost impossible to complete a project shopping at Home Depot as inevitably there would be some unique item that you needed (for example a certain plumbing fitting).

I always felt that Lowe's had a leg up over Depot in regards to selection. However, it still isn't great and find myself shopping mostly at Menards if I'm heading to a home center due to their deeper breadth of products.

That said, alsmost all of my tile supplies I'm getting from a local distributor as selection and price can't be beat by the home centers. I'm slowly doing the same with other products as well.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:17 AM   #34
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

HD & Lowes are designed for the homeowner DIYer. If you are a true professional in this business, you have licensing, a tax ID number , and pay a huge yearly insurance bill for your business. You deal with tile distributors who require the tax numbers and license to buy from them.
I love getting the call on Monday from someone who just bought their tile and supplies from the big box store and want you there this week to install. I also love telling them that we don't install materials from the big box stores and have them install for you.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:38 PM   #35
Sharon @ LATICRETE

Quote:
Speaking of Laticrete I special ordered 8 bags of XLT a couple of months ago from a local authorized distributor.

All 8 bags were over 2 years old with a manufacture date of April 2016.
I've sent you a private message about this issue so that we can pass it along to our local rep in the area.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase