Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-25-2015, 08:21 PM   #76
Jim Cordes

I dont really see that anyone did anything wrong per say. I tend to view it as just a natural progression of things.

When you get listed top of the search engines,when you get industry professionals, when you get sponsors and thousands of viewers then it would be absurd to let just let people say anything or give rogue advice.. you have to be proper.

It is what it is, i do think though that a private forum where folks can relax their guard and not be afraid to admit they don't let their thinset slack or that they don't back butter their tile all the time would be a nice to have, maybe its a little too late, I dont know I never been to the other place but still it seems like a good idea to have that here.
Unread 10-25-2015, 08:48 PM   #77
Dan Kramer
Registered Tile/Stone User

Schluter already had a Tile Geeks event.

Lotsa good food for thought in this thread.

I'll ramble off some of my pros and cons in no particular order. I like the transparency of the open Pro's hangout, nothing to hide about what I do or how I charge. I dislike the use of the forum with the iPhone. I have a bunch of photos from two previous JBF events but have never taken the time and effort it requires to upload here. I think Jon is on to something with the instant gratification aspect of Tile Geeks. I had a small install issue a few months back and posted a quick picture and within minutes had several responses/suggestions on how to handle it. One Geek/JBF member even texted me to "talk it out". When I post a photo of an install, I may get 60 "likes" and a handful of compliments by the end of the day. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Everyone likes a little love! Don't get that same response here. Also, when here for info I always search and read extensively before I post. Nothing wrong with people being directed to the search feature in my opinion.

Interesting point Justin brings up. As I was reading this I kept thinking about the Gueuze and how his elimination here seemed to be a turning point, at least for me. I had thought about this before. Dude was a great entertainer on the forum as well as a tile guru. He gets banned and some douche bag Marty remains? That left a bit of a sour taste, kinda like the regular political posters!

Anyhow, this place has aided me in ways I never thought possible as a tile setter, a business owner and as a person. Deeply indebted.
Unread 10-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #78
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Good points Dan!
If you break it down, the DIY's come here for the great advice. Who gives that advice? The pro's that's who. It used to be many,now there are few, less than 10 maybe?
I would think keeping the pro's happy and in one place would have been priority #1. Someone must have a different business model I guess. But that's none of my business.

PS...I have been a member since 2006 and I have heard suggestions about a closed Pro forum since I joined. If it happens now,its a panic move. "Oh look,there goes the horse,I better close that gate". Just saying.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2015, 03:36 AM   #79
set

I really enjoy this site and all it has to offer. The advice and help it has to offer to both the general public and the other pros on the board is outstanding. Are there maybe a few short comings as others have pointed out, maybe, but nothing is ever perfect (except my work of course). after seeing this thread I went to check out the Tile Geeks page and after trying to join twice ( now waiting on third time ) they have not accepted me! not to sure what the requirements to join are but seem like not the most friendly bunch !! I can only hope that things do not become a "us and them" kinda thing between everyone, that would be an unfortnate outcome to a group of people that have played together for such a period of time!
Unread 10-26-2015, 04:53 AM   #80
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Never understood why they banned him. Maybe your right and its time to go to Geeks. I have learned so much here in the pro forum and have had the opportunity to hang out with some of the best in the biz. The idea of a locked forum that exists is enticing. Any hazing rituals involved with joining?

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2015, 05:17 AM   #81
HS345
Tile Contractor

Yes, gueuze was a talented, knowledgeable tile guy, but [edited]. Not a good fit for the "friendliest forum". If that's the reason attendance has dropped off here, I don't know what to say. I seriously doubt it.

Last edited by Tiger Mountain Tile Inc; 10-26-2015 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Keeping the forum friendly. :-)
HS345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2015, 07:07 AM   #82
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Sorry I will have to respectfully disagree, I mean look at the "Work in Progress" thread which was his idea. Of course I don't see Trask here anymore or on TGs. Gueuze got banned and from what I understand this is what jumpstarted TGs by Jack. Things happen for a reason, many don't like him because he calls people out. Personally I respect him for just that. I remember being here on the forum early on after I joined and hearing him say he was a geek and this was a place he could come to share. So it all worked out.

I think with anything you peak at some point in participation and then you start to drop when something more enticing comes along. I will keep saying it and Dan stated it to, instant gratification from people. The JB Forum needs some fresh new ideas to kickstart it again.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2015, 09:47 AM   #83
Brad Denny
Tile Contractor Nashville, TN

I really want to reply with a solid post here, but I just typed in about fifty well thought out words...my phone rang...and now those words are gone! I'll try to respond in depth at my PC later. I can't describe the value and appreciation for JBF and convey my delinquency in one paragraph.

Food for thought...my observations/opinions...
-Google Play says that the Facebook mobile app has been downloaded over 1 billion times.
-The industry is working toward attracting the next generation. Social media is going to be a way to do that. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pintrest, LinkedIn, and Houzz are being pushed by EVERYBODY.
-Social media can be shallow. Having a place to link to where a thorough well organized cache of info is necessary to enrich the social media experience.
-Mobile technology will not slow down. People will continue to find ways to utilize it more.
-Tile Geeks just hit 3000 members. They are NOT all tile installation pros. We've encouraged participation from manufacturers, tool suppliers, distributors, mosaicists, the NTCA, and other fringe types that contribute to the tile industry SPECIFICALLY with the thought of their participation benefitting the installers. If I had to guess, we get about 300 regulars per day, about 100 comments per day, and an additional couple of hundred regular lurkers. It's not monetized at the moment, it can be difficult to moderate, and for the most part it's a free for all...which has its good points and bad points.

Brad Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #84
mullet
░░░░░░░

Simple fix. Make a Tile-Elitist sub forum and make evan1968 & Kilauea the moderators. Problem solved.
mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #85
bulldog tile

Don't post much anymore - too busy - but still lurk quite often. Agree with much that has been posted.

Needing a decent mobile friendly application is at the top of my list.

I don't FB so a I can't speak for a closed forum although it sounds like a good idea. If a closed forum is kind of like a conversation with several folks in the tile trade at the local tile house I'm all for it. In the aforementioned conversation we touch most any topic - business or methods related - along with the frankness necessary to get the point across without looking over our shoulder for a moderator to throw a flag or pull us back in bounds.

There have been some great contributing personalities who are no longer here that would keep me logging on just to see what they may have posted in my absence. I believe that, in a small part, those personalities flirting on the edge of the boundaries was one of the interesting aspects of their posts and kept me coming back just to see what might be said.

Maybe some of that cutting edge can be regained somehow.

I am grateful for this forum. It has made me rethink some installation methods and how I relate to customers. Just about every post I have read has aided me in becoming a more well-rounded tile setter and business person.

Thank you John Bridge!

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
bulldog tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #86
koihito
A person, like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
for the most part it's a free for all...which has its good points and bad points.
I've seen some nasty stuff on TG. I won't read it with my kids in the room where they might look over my shoulder, I don't have that concern here.

www.mikoskiconstruction.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #87
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set
I went to check out the Tile Geeks page and after trying to join twice ( now waiting on third time ) they have not accepted me!
It's like a really busy restaurant, I'm sure you will get seated soon. Very busy with other diners.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2015, 06:59 PM   #88
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Quote:
posted by Evan:
It's like a really busy restaurant, I'm sure you will get seated soon. Very busy with other diners.
I am not one of the henchmen over there so I have no idea what the criteria is to get in. I do like the closed door policy though the open door policy here has gotten me some good work. Late last year a potential customer was looking for someone who used Wedi Panels for their 2 bathroom remodels. The installer at their beach home had used them. They found JD Tile on a post on this forum, early this year we did both the bathrooms and the customer was thrilled. Once they do the addition onto their home we will be going back to do that.

I have already mentioned how grateful I am for this forum probably the reason I keep giving input here on this thread. I think the world of John Bridge as a human being and I would like to see this forum get back to what it once was. There is no shortage of people looking to do their own projects but yes major shortage of pros to lead them. Maybe time for a board meeting

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #89
Kman

Jon, we're all listening to your input, and the constructive input of everyone that comments. The board "meets" every day here, and we take the time to discuss what we read here. Thanks for commenting, we appreciate it.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #90
Brad Denny
Tile Contractor Nashville, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
I've seen some nasty stuff on TG. I won't read it with my kids in the room where they might look over my shoulder, I don't have that concern here.
Language isn't filtered all that much for sure. It isn't a place for children (hence the closed group). We try to make sure that everyone who joins has something on their page related to the tile industry. If we don't see that we don't approve them...for the most part. It could always be better over there, but we approve about at least 5 new members every day and it does get hectic.

When I joined 8 years ago I was a newbie to the internet. I stumbled along this site and was hammered with so many things that I had not heard or thought about only being exposed to one person's teaching my whole life. I soaked it all up, especially the wood framed part because we mostly dealt with slabs in commercial construction. Being involved here elevated my abilities and made me think about my trade as a legitimate career path rather than a job.

When I joined...I also didn't have kids. I could come home and sit at a laptop for hours (much to the chagrin of my wife) to chat along. Since my daughter's birth in '09 it become more difficult to post. Then came the smartphone. Easy to pick up and easy to put down. I was already texting with some of the guys and Jack decided to do a Facebook group so we had an easier place to dump pics and chat (uninhibited). I was already Facebooking, so it was natural. It started with 20 people, mainly those from JBF and we enjoyed keeping up there because it was so fast to communicate. No reloading, no resizing, instant notifications, in the pocket/out of the pocket quickly...just easier. Understandably it grew and here we are. I will say that I can get most all of my employees to look at Tile Geeks, but I never could get anyone in here. Maybe I did a poor job of selling JBF, but I'm afraid it's just that the vBulletin means of trading information only appeals to a certain types of people.

I've made friends here at JBF, family is a better description. I didn't "leave"...I'm basically doing the same thing over there that I did here, sharing a passion for my trade. Did I get upset about some of the drama with certain people? A bit, but it doesn't matter where you go you will find people with difficult personalities to deal with. If I wanted to rid myself of that I'd have to quit the internet totally (ESPECIALLY Facebook)! I have always admired what John, Dave, and Kelly have created here. It is a fine respectable site and many have invested in enriching it. I don't see that it's my place to tell them how to run it, especially when I still peep in to learn a thing or two. When I do come to check in, I usually meander over to the shallow end to see if there's a way for me to contribute. I rarely see that help is needed. Paul, Dana, Kevin, and a host of others (not to mention Kelly who is a tireless answerer) do a great job of keeping the queue down to a minimum. At this point those guys could provide an answer faster than I could because they craft them so well. So it seemed to me that my presence wasn't needed and I have tried to invest where I could beneficial.

I do still try to attend events. I was so nervous anticipating meeting everyone at that first Schluter event! Just like the site though, everyone was welcoming and I so enjoy seeing them on a regular basis. Are the events a reward for participation? If so I don't need to be there, but if they are for a celebration of the educational opportunity and a gathering of friends count me in.

What to do going forward to draw the attention and traffic of professionals?

A closed pro place has already been mentioned.

I think being a place of reference for social media is a possible route. Having articles in the Liberry and past discussions linked to would explain a lot of things that come across the Tile Geeks group. I'm also helping the NTCA start a few Facebook groups to target members and directors, in the future I will try better to see if information on a topic is easily found here. If there are ways to improve the search feature maybe that could help. Regularly I see paid social media gurus regurgitating info through links on different social media sites, maybe you could reach out to those types to see if something couldn't be worked out to benefit both parties...especially when you have the ability to stick ads where you want them and this site probably has information much better than the alternatives anyway.

Encouraging the manufacturers to a have a very directed "helping hand", meaning that they can participate if they contribute directly to the members, has helped TG IMO. Maybe a closed place would help in that regard? One could follow the other.

In the end...one has to ask...is more pro participation really what is best for JBF? If DIYers are being helped in the shallow end, the manufacturers continue to see this as a viable option to advertise, and it remains a great place for people who want to interact to in this type of setting...why change?

Thanks for reading!!!!

Brad Denny is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase