Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
Tucker

Kerdi Flood Test

Bob posted this in the other thread.

"After you get the Kerdi installed and it cures for 24 hours, you simply plug the drain with anything that fits, then fill the pan up to the top of the curb. Hold for 1 hour and top off the water, then hold for 23 more hours. Anything more than about 1/8" of level drop is a leak. If you get a large drop after only an hour, pull the plug and look for the leak." BBCAMP http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=87445

Isn't that a lot of water to drop?

If the water level drops just under 1/8" that is tons of water. I worked it out to be almost 100 oz's in my 3'x4' shower.

Are you sure???

Tucker

Last edited by Tucker; 12-26-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Don't think I ever water tested a Kerdi pan. I trust it and, never a problem...but the inspector may require it. A balloon works just fine for this...

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
cx
Da Home Builder

Tucker, this thread is well over a year old. I expect they're well beyond the flood test phase by now, eh?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
Tucker

I'm not thinking about their flood test. I'm just wondering if a 100 oz's of water is acceptable for water loss in a day.

How much water evaporates overnight?

How can you tell if the shower is leaking?

Tucker
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #5
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Sounds like an awful lot of water. Mark the waterline with a sharp marker. If I saw more than an eighth of an inch or so in 24 hours, I'd be concerned.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Unread 12-26-2011, 03:15 AM   #6
Tucker

100 oz's is 1/8th drop in a 3'x4' shower

Even at a 1/16" that would be almost two bottles of wine leaking out in 24 hours!

This is acceptable?

Tucker
Unread 12-26-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

yes, as its due to evaporation

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
cx
Da Home Builder

Let's get you a thread of your own for the project, Tucker.

Without knowing the conditions in the test area it's difficult to predict how much evaporation might occur, but that doesn't sound to me like an excessive amount to lose to evaporation, even were it to be measured that accurately.

Spread your two bottles of wine over twelve square feet in a warm, dry room and see how long it might last, eh? Might wanna measure out about 120 oz, though, so's we don't gotta guess what size your wine bottles are. And please use cheap wine, too.

If I saw no indication of leakage outside my shower pan I would not be concerned with that much water loss.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Last edited by cx; 12-26-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Unread 12-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
Tucker

CX what if the water is leaking under the shower or into the mud bed? How would I know if it is evaporation or a leak?

I would think a drop of 1/8" would raise alarm bells not be passed off to evaporation.

How do I measure evaporation to be sure???

Tucker
Unread 12-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Since this is a Kerdi shower, after draining it, just check out the seams, if there IS a leak, you should be able to see the moisture discoloring the area...will look different than the field area. Note that a little bit of moisture "creep" is acceptable...under 5/8" of an inch.

Even at that, a flood test subjects the Kerdi to pressure that you don't have during normal operation.

Your job sounds OK to moi.

Unread 12-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The rate of evaporation depends radically on where you are, the season, and primarily the humidity levels and whether there's any draft or natural ventillation. Arizona in the summer with a window open, huge amounts of evaporation; Florida in the middle of the summer without a/c on, not very much. The humidity levels in a home can vary from near zero to 100%, so evaporation amounts are hard to verify. You could put out a large flat pan, maybe such as a 13x9" baking pan or a half-sheet pan and leave it in the same room on the floor and compare the relative evaporation levels.

If you continued the flood test for a longer period of time, if it was actually a leak rather than evaporation or saturating the fleece, it would eventually show up.

Keep in mind that with the fleece, it will allow some moisture to wick, creating more surface area similar to the evaporative pads on a humidifier...this will increase the evaporation a lot more than say from something like redgard. The difference can be significant, but has no effect on the actual waterproof enclosure. Spreading out any moisture actually makes the shower dry out faster during normal use. In a properly built shower, other than the flood test, the membrane should not see any liquid water...any moisture that might wick there (and that would take severe conditions to occur in the first place) tends to evaporate because there's so little that actually can get wet. Take a nice porcelain tile with a thinset underneath...the tile is impervious, the grout line likely small and with a sealer, very little water. I just took a shower in one made with Kerdi...an hour later, there's no evidence of wet grout anywhere and I'm sure the whole thing is dry underneath.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #12
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker
How do I measure evaporation to be sure???
Pewt water in a bucket or pan or tray next to the shower, mark that water level carefully and compare the test vessel and the shower after your 24 hours.

Unread 12-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #13
Jefferson17

With respect, I disagree. I used Wedi on my last shower as it wasn't possible for me to use Kerdi with this particular scenario - the drain wouldn't fit where I needed it to.

Like Kerdi, Wedi is also a fleece-covered dual-sided membrane. My first flood test failed and I ran a quick 2nd test over 3-4 hours that confirmed that my "screw type" drain plug didn't have a good seal. So I went out and bought a really proper commercial plug - the type with the 18" hose to the inflatable ball that goes into the 2" pipe.

I then redid the full flood test, marking the walls with blue tape in 3 spots and kept the bathroom door closed to keep the ambient moisture level fairly high. I checked it every 12 hours for a full 72 hours and it was a perfect flood test. If the water dropped at all, it wasn't enough for me to observe a change in level against the tapes.

If you drop 1/16 or 1/8 inch or whatever in 24 hours then we can HOPE that it's just a poor fitting drain plug. Test this out by only flooding the drain section itself, not the full pan. If this fails, then fix it and redo the full pan test. You don't necessarily need to do a 72 hour test like I did but certainly at least a 24 hour test with no discernible drop or only the slightest one.

Good luck!

J.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jefferson17; 12-26-2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: added photo
Jefferson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I've only seen Wedi once, but it did not appear to have fleece like Kerdi on it...it's a proprietary coating that bonds to thinset and is waterproof, but it's not the same as fleece on Kerdi.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase