Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #1
Tjdecker83

New guy looking for some guidance

Hello all. New guy here from Jacksonville, Florida. My name is Travis and during the day I am in the Navy, but in my free time I like to pretend I know what I'm doing with most things DIY.

During my most recent deployment we had a family friend come in to redo our shower. He bailed before completion which left me to either finish or start over. With the quality of work already done, I decided to start from scratch. He put up all the tile except for 2 niches which were cut out after the tile was up. They weren't framed, no way to tape and thinset the joints. Maybe someone more experienced than me would have been able to make it work, who knows. During demo, I found zero water proofing and no pre slope. And screws through the top of the curb. So I am down to the studs ready to build back up.

Here's my questions:
I am planning to use a wondercap drain. My hang up is the drain is ABS, and my plumbing is PVC. I talked to a rep from the maker who said they have had zero failures and using PVC to ABS transition solvent will work fine since this isn't a pressure connection. Looking for your feedback.

Next is about waterproofing. I'll be using redgaurd and using a thickness gauge. But I am wondering if I should coat all the way to the bottom of the durock before the mud pan is installed or just coat what is exposed after the pan.

I have searched the forum extensively for these questions (plus many others) but did not find what I had hoped to find. Thanks for your help.
Unread 01-09-2021, 01:13 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Travis.

That's an interesting drain and one I've not seen nor heard of. Not quite sure what to think about it, but it does seem to fit the general description of a clamping drain as required for your apparent application.

Also first time I've seen any plumbing part made of white ABS material.

As for bonding the ABS to your PVC plumbing, that's something that'll need to be taken up with your local code compliance people. It's not generally an accepted practice anywhere on the interior of a residential structure. To the best of my knowledge the only place you can bond those dissimilar pipe materials is one time at the first drain connection outside the dwelling.

I think it would likely work OK in your intended application, but I'd wanna clear that with the jurisdiction before I committed to it.

As for the RedGard on the walls, do we assume you are using RedGard as the receptor liner, too, or are you planning a PVC liner and RedGard only for the walls?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 01-09-2021 at 07:31 PM. Reason: typo
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2021, 03:08 PM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

The "Transitional Adhesive" going from pvc to abs has been around for quite some time. I have used it numerous times and, since this is not a pressure fitting, my experience tells me that you should be OK.......

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2021, 03:11 PM   #4
Tjdecker83

I will be doing a PVC liner, just not sure how far down to bring the redgard. Or, if there is any benefit of covering the entire board, to include the bottom edge. My thinking is this would direct any water to the liner and prevent any wicking up the board where it meets the liner.
Unread 01-09-2021, 07:30 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

I would coat the entire face of the CBU, but not the bottom edge in that application.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2021, 08:32 AM   #6
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz
I have used it numerous times and, since this is not a pressure fitting, my experience tells me that you should be OK.......
My experience tells me the same. I have just such a connection and it has been leak free for 10 years.

Nevertheless, it certainly wouldn't hurt to find out if code in your area allows for a ABS to PVC glued joint, then at least you can make an informed decision.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2021, 10:30 PM   #7
Tjdecker83

Thank you all for the replies

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase