Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-31-2010, 09:01 AM   #46
Honeydo

Don't know how you feel about resale, but I'm not sure there is any jurisdiction that would okay that step arrangement, handrail or not.
Maybe you have no code to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo
I do however have a lot of ambition
I take it there is no chance of finding a really nice manufactured soaking tub? Lot's to choose from,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo
My girlfriend hates it, but I seem to think the only other option
How long have you been together??? Wisdom before ambition, Always make her happy

Your girlfriend will love you......You might even love yourself when ambition wanes a bit as a project drags on.

(I once put in windows that cost me more than they needed to. 122 windows imported from Canada, Very nice windows, Anderson's would have been fine. A friend asked me why. My logic, It wasn't worth listening to her for the rest of my life that I should have done.......
I might have made a foolish mistake in my younger days.

Last edited by Honeydo; 10-31-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Honeydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #47
Dayo A.

"I take it there is no chance of finding a really nice manufactured soaking tub? Lot's to choose from, "
Really nice soaking tubs have really big price tags. I said I have a lot of ambition, not money.

"How long have you been together??? Wisdom before ambition, Always make her happy"
We've been together for 10 years, and I'm making the floor how I want, and she'll like it!

(I once put in windows that cost me more than they needed to. 122 windows imported from Canada, Very nice windows, Anderson's would have been fine. A friend asked me why. My logic, It wasn't worth listening to her for the rest of my life that I should have done.......
I might have made a foolish mistake in my younger days.

Ordering the Andersons tonight.
Unread 11-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #48
Honeydo

well, Good luck on a very ambitious project. I think your drawing was referring to a "wood framed, membraned lined, mortar and tile tub" .

You might want to check with Laticrete, but I think you might find some special construction design considerations with a wood framed tub, not even sure they will allow it. Special framing details in all planes of the "basin". Some design and engineering considerations and construction work to insure all surfaces will meet l360 defection that they require for hydroban when loaded with the water and people in the tub.

Or you can wing it on your own.

edit add, I think there is an IAMPO standard for a site constructed Roman tub and I think the TCA mirrors that

Last edited by Honeydo; 11-01-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Honeydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #49
Levi the Tile Guy
Tile and Stone Contractor

Dayo,

Ed has a point, you prolly should call Laticrete's tech support and get their requirement or suggestions for your application. I've done hot tubs before, but they were already constructed and all I did was add the tile. I always used a 100% solid epoxy grout also.

Grand Junction, Colorado Tile and Stone installation

Levi the Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 08:20 AM   #50
Dayo A.

My plan was to just build the living hell out of it; as if every surface was designed to park a car on. Then 3/4" plywood and hardibacker cement board over that. I got lots of glue, 3/8" bolts, concrete anchors, long screws, and a pile of lumber big enough to build a one car garage.
Unread 11-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #51
Dayo A.

Progress

My walls are insulated, 15# felt paper is up, shower is framed, my tub is half framed, my drain pipes are all in place, I just finished sweatin' all the new copper pipes, all the tub and shower fixtures are in place, I patched in the ragged edge of my half slab with cement, and tomorrow I get to put up walls.

I could post pictures, but I probably shouldn't clog up the server of a tile forum with plumbing and carpentry pictures, so I'll wait till it's further along.
Unread 11-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #52
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

No such thing as a bad renovation picture. Unless it's blurry, of course.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 05:26 PM   #53
Dayo A.

The first two pictures are old, the rest are where I was yesterday, I hope they're not too blurry, being camera phone pictures and all. It's tough in such a small dark room.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dayo A.; 11-15-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Dayo A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #54
Dayo A.

Raised floor is in:
Attached Images

Unread 11-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #55
Dayo A.

Mud Bed

Here's my mud bed and curb. I made the curb one 2x4 higher than shown in the previous photos, then covered the curb and the 3/4" ply floor with 15# tar paper and 2.5 diamond galvanized steel lath. I nailed the lath down with galvanized roofing nails.

I covered the wood curb in type S mortar, and sloped it down from the wooden floor toward the shower. It was beginning to seem impossible to get the sides and top corners to square up and become flat just by working it with a trowel, so I had my helper whip up some 2x4s to frame it up.

The next day the curb looked pretty solid, so we mixed up two 60lb bags of sand/topping mix (120lbs), with 60lbs of play sand. It was a big batch, and the large mixing tray from HD was overflowing. We had the window open and it was pretty cool out, plus we had the heat duct in the room blocked, so I hope it didn't get too dry on us while working it. After it was all mixed, we added the water and continued to take turns mixing.

As my helper mixed the final clumps out of the mix, I threw together a small batch of versabond and backbuttered the kerdi drain, and the lath around the hole. Then I loaded a mound of the drypack around the drain hole and glued the drain to the pipe. We quickly threw drypack around all the edges of the shower, and I used a level to pack it down to my screed line I had drawn on the 1/2" Hardibacker CBU and curb.

Then I used various pieces of wood to pack the rest with deck mud and check for flatness. I wasn't super positive the edges of the drain had enough thinset under the trapezoids, so I feathered some in across the top of the drain when I finished leveling/packing the deck.

We probably didn't finish packing the deck until an hour and a half after we started mixing the water into the mud, and I read the average working time is only 45 minutes! Is there something I should watch out for? I mean, how can I tell if I worked it too long? I mixed it as properly as I could tell from the instructions in the "Liberry", but WOW it looked so dry. It's been just over 24 hours, and it seems pretty cohesive, with the exeption of some loose sand that was on the surface here and there.

For example, small globs of thinset that fell on the surface required moderate prying force with a fingernail to pry off the mud bed after 12 hours, and tapping on it with my knuckles definitely makes a knocking sound and leaves no dents. Am I ok?

Ps. The mud is 2" thick at the edges, and 1.5" thick at the drain.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dayo A.; 11-25-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Dayo A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 11:45 PM   #56
Dayo A.

Another question: Can I spread thinset over the mud bed to fill any imperfections before I apply hydroban? When I do the seams with AR tape, should I tape where the mudbed meets the hardibacker, and where the curb meets the hardibacker and bed?
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #57
cx
Da Home Builder

1. Yes.

2. No.

Can't tell what that horizontal plywood area is to be, but if it's a floor, alternating the direction of the plywood layers is a very bad idea.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #58
Dayo A.

Ok, I'm going to smooth out my floor imperfections with thinset, and only tape the joints in the walls, not around the bed or curb.

I guess I'm screwed on the floor beacause I laid 3/4" plywood across the joists, and glued 1/2" plywood on top of that in the same direction as the joists.

What type of failure should I expect because of alternating the plywood direction?
Unread 11-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #59
Dayo A.

I know this question was kinda buried in post #55, but can anybody tell me how to tell if my mudbed is solid enough?

I already have a crack in my new curb, does that mean I have to start from scratch, or do I just hydroban it and tile?
Attached Images

Unread 11-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #60
Dayo A.

bump

I'm a little worried about that because my 4:1 sand mix was just damp,and I worked with it for so long.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase