Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-14-2014, 07:26 AM   #46
gworrel

It is painful to see how long this project has been ongoing, but here we are.

I am about to put up drywall on the two walls to be tiled. I will be using Kerdi over the entire surface. I have shimmed the studs to excellent plumb and flatness. I have installed the acrylic shower base in the corner over a mortar bed. The drywall will come down to the top of the shower base. I will be installing two noble niches that I will cut out the opening for after putting up the drywall and Kerdi. (I'll have to review those directions.)

The walls are 9 feet tall. I am planning to put the drywall sheets vertically. Are there any special considerations or best practices when putting up drywall that will have kerdi and tile over it?

The floor will have ditra and large format 10mm thick tile. Should I leave a gap at the bottom of the drywall? Thanks.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #47
cx
Da Home Builder

1. Do not tape or fill any drywall joints in areas to receive Kerdi.

2. Unless instructed otherwise by a product manufacturer you always leave a gap between everything and everything else.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #48
gworrel

I am almost ready to put up Kerdi. I now have some drywall up and the install was less than perfect. We broke off one corner next to the shower base. There is about a 1/2 inch gap on one end of a sheet at the ceiling. There are some oversized holes for plumbing and electrical. I could patch these with setting type joint compound, or is there a better way? Pictures attached. Thanks.

Greg
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #49
Kman

If I was covering those spots with tile that were large enough to cover the hole easily (6x6 or larger) I wouldn't do anything with them, except fill them with thinset, maybe. The gap between sheets I would cover with thinset and mesh tape. The one right next to the shower, I'd fill that one for sure, it looks a little larger than the others.

If it's just going to be painted then I'd fill it with joint compound.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #50
gworrel

The tile I am using is only 1x1 or smaller. The whole wall will be tiled. So fill the larger gaps with thinset then let dry prior to kerdi?
Old 07-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #51
gworrel

On the home stretch. I put Kerdi up on all the walls and banded all the seams. In hindsight, I wonder if I could have skipped the Kerdi outside the wet area. I wanted a uniform look for the entire wall with the small mosaics I am using so I put Kerdi everywhere the wall tiles will go. I used Ditra Set.

I used Kerdi band along the edges of the shower base and bonded it using Kerdifix on the base and thinset on the drywall. The Schluter video was very helpful on that. One question that came up was when to remove the painter's tape along the top of the shower base. Too soon and the Kerdi band wants to come up with it. Too late and the Kerdi fix has glued it down. I waited a couple of hours and thought it was not the best time. What do others do on that?

Now my plan is to use Versabond to skim coat the transitions where the Kerdi band has left it uneven. Earlier in the thread there was a suggestion to float the wall to get it flat. I assume that what was meant was to cover the Kerdi with a thin coat where necessary to minimize bumps left by the Kerdi band. I cannot find any examples of that in other threads or pictures, so I want to make sure I understand that correctly. Right now I can slide a 1/16" spacer under the level when I put it over the Kerdi band ridges.

I purchased Laticrete Glass Tile adhesive to use under the glass tiles. I will probably use Ditra Set under the mosaic porcelain tiles.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #52
cx
Da Home Builder

Not sure what the purpose of the blue tape might have been, but I'd not have put it over any place where I had KerdiFix.

You can try the skim coating of the Kerdi seams if you want, but I'd recommend you simply try to tile over it before you do anything like that. If you did a good job of bedding your Kerdi Band, you shouldn't have much trouble. Up to you.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #53
gworrel

In the Schluter video that shows using Kerdifix in a tub surround application, they put painter's tape down to protect the tub. Here's the video where they put down the blue tape: https://youtu.be/CYf1jHbER4o?t=49s

The Kerdi Band is well bedded as far as I can tell. My only concern is that the wall is no longer flat. I don't want obvious ridges, waves, or lippage to appear in the 1x1 tile I will be putting up.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #54
cx
Da Home Builder

If the blue tape was only to protect the tub from the KerdiFix, you simply let the KerdiFix cure and then cut along the edge of the blue tape with a razor blade or utility knife and remove the tape. Shouldn't be any problem at all.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:01 PM   #55
gworrel

Quote:
You can try the skim coating of the Kerdi seams if you want, but I'd recommend you simply try to tile over it before you do anything like that. If you did a good job of bedding your Kerdi Band, you shouldn't have much trouble. Up to you.
If I understand you correctly here, if the Kerdi Band seams are done well, the slight bumps should not be noticeable once the tiles are on. It is definitely not as flat as it was before they went on, but I don't know how much of that will be obvious after tiling. Is there a standard for wall flatness for mosaic tiles?
Old 07-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #56
Kman

Those 1/16" bumps usually won't show up on the larger tiles, say 12x12's or larger. However, if you're installing mosaic sheets, then I would get a large trowel, at least 12" or longer, and skim a thin layer of thinset on each side of the bands. It won't take out the humps, but it will "soften" them enough that they shouldn't be noticeable.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:54 AM   #57
gworrel

Thanks. Looking forward to getting some tile up this week.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #58
gworrel

I've started to get some of the tiles put up. Everything was going great until I noticed that the 12 x 12 sheets of 3/4" mosaic tiles are not all the same color. I wanted to avoid the 12" square look. There is a significant color variation that makes some of the individual sheets of tiles look distinctly different. In hindsight, I know that I should have at least anticipated this possibility. Perhaps I could have found more tiles that matched or bought different tiles altogether. It is very frustrating to run into this at this point. I am just hoping that the variation will be not so noticeable after everything is done. In the picture below with the laser projected on the wall, the sheet at the far left is noticeably less blue. I didn't even notice it when I took the picture and was admiring my work. Now it stands out to me like a sore thumb.

On a good note, the Laticrete Glass Tile Adhesive works great. Each sheet stays in place with only light pressure when first placing it. No sagging or need for extra support.

I picked up a Bosch laser level at Home Depot for $79 that has been very helpful as well. My only complaint is that it takes some time to get it to project exactly where I want it.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #59
Kman

Definitely a shade difference there. Your supplier should have checked the dye lots and got them all from the same batch. If you're thinking about removing them, the sooner the better. Every hour they stay on the wall makes it more likely that you'll damage your waterproofing trying to remove the tile.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #60
gworrel

I was going to just live with it, but the more I look at it, the more I don't like it. Under a halogen light at night, it stands out quite plainly. I am not too concerned about the Kerdi. Most of the area I have done so far is not in a wet area. If I decide to remove it, what would be the best way to go about it?

The tile came from Home Depot. It was a clearance item and I had to get what I needed from more than one store. Then I ordered still more from an online seller. They all come from the same manufacturer and are called Mediterranean Pearl. I don't see any dye lot number or any distinguishing number anywhere on the box. Sometimes a deal is not a deal. I really like the tile, but the lack of consistency is very disappointing.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase