Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 07-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #661
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

It's not unusual to have the front wheels sort of "bump" into the rail when the cart is pulled all the way so that it's hanging off of the front.

It's hard to know if that's the issue or if there is something machined incorrectly on you saw.

New DIYTileGuy blog post: Flood testing a shower pan: Why it's done and how to do it
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #662
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Bruce....yeah, that's what I did a few years back...and I don't regret it.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #663
speed51133

does your middle bearing on the right side have axial play in it? The demo saw at floor and decor had a good half inch of axial movement and it made the table wobble left and right once half way through a cut.
Unread 11-20-2019, 07:10 PM   #664
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I like the Floor and Decor you referred to in Brookfield. And the folks are friendly. But I never got the impression that they were Tool nerds like many installers are and understand the tool NOT being set up 100% ready to go. Just a thought.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #665
dtbingle

Dewalt D24000 Tray Wheels - Vertical Alignment Issues

Hi all, been lurking the forums and finally registered + 1st post.

I just purchased a new dewalt D24000 10" wet tile saw as an upgrade from a Harbor Freight DiamondBack 10" saw. It appears that the sliding tray was manufactured incorrectly and the middle tray wheel sits lower than the front & back ones. This is applies to both left and right side tray rollers, although the wheels on the right don't play as much of a factor in the smoothness and straightness of the sliding tray. The wheel misalignment causes a bump and slight elevation change in the tray whenever the front or back wheels leave the rail. This doesn't effect 90 cuts too much, but becomes problematic trying to get nice, straight mitered cuts. Additionally, even after trying to adjust the rail, the tray seems tight and has a rough sound when sliding - almost as if the rollers are being pushed rather than having a nice rolling/gliding action.

I can't imagine this is normal and acceptable. Put my request in for a replacement, but wanted to get feedback from others on if these issues were common, fixable, something you live with, etc.

Also, I have read through the Tips, Tricks, and Problems thread by Dan Clark. However, the thread is 45 pages long now and the problem in the OP from 2008 is a result of the tray wheels being out of alignment left-to-right, which Dewalt added an adjustment screw for somewhere along the line.

Can't post links yet, but do have a Youtube video showing wheel misalignment and rough tray sliding. Hope this is allowed, but will be first video if search Youtube for "Dewalt D24000 Tray Wheel Alignment Issue".
Unread 04-28-2020, 07:50 PM   #666
LAN1870
BATHROOM REMODELING

I’ve had the dewalt d24000 for so many years now and I’ve noticed that there seems to be manufacturing defects in it. I don’t why it took me so long to notice it, but my tray extension wasn’t made right. The extension actually sits higher than the tray itself (see attached pic). There’s no adjustment on the guide pins. i’ve always had problems with cuts and this is one of the reasons why. For all the money I paid for it, I haven’t been happy with it. So sadly it doesn’t surprise me by what you’re explaining. Do whatever you can to get a replacement or refund.
Attached Images

Bathroom Remodeling
"Attention To Detail Comes First"
LAN1870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2020, 10:34 PM   #667
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Dylan.

I've appended your thread to the appropriate thread in the Hangout. One of the most discussed saws on the forums.

You might try the Search This Forum at the top of the page for specific areas of discussion.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2020, 08:17 AM   #668
dtbingle

Thanks! Just curious, would any of you be able to check the tray wheel vertical alignment or take a picture similar to mine from a "good" saw? Wondering what the typical/acceptable variation is between these three wheels.

Left rail side wheels, straight edge is pressed against left and middle wheels and angled up over the right wheel due to middle wheel being more towards bottom of tray than others
Name:  railside.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  48.2 KB

Right rail side wheels
Name:  secondaryrailside.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  44.6 KB

Leslie, you mention the extension tray. Appears mine is also off, but in opposite direction. It sits about an 1/8" lower than the top of the rubber surface.
Name:  IMG_3826.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  36.1 KB

Last edited by dtbingle; 04-29-2020 at 10:08 AM.
dtbingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2020, 10:21 AM   #669
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Both Dewalt saws that I've owned have had a "bump" when sliding the cart in. Additionally, my 2012 saw has the same issue with the extension piece being higher, that Leslie mentioned, and it makes the cuts want to break at the end.

The saw that I bought in 2004 doesn't have this issue and the extension is flat and doesn't have the machined grooves on it.

I just bought a new saw (not dewalt) and it makes me realize that Dewalt put a lot of thought and engineering into their saw when they made it. My one gripe with Dewalt is that they don't continue to improve the little things. They just keep turning the saws out with the same small flaws.

That's what Felker, Target, and MK did before Dewalt entered the scene and took over.

New DIYTileGuy blog post: Flood testing a shower pan: Why it's done and how to do it
Unread 05-04-2020, 08:04 AM   #670
dtbingle

Question on the "bump". When the bump happens, does the top of your tray tilt or change elevation at all?

It seems that if all rollers are vertically aligned, you would still feel a tactile bump as the front/rear rollers go between no compression and slight compression between the top rail and bottom guide rail as they enter & exit the rail.

When this "third wheel bump" happens on my 10" Diamondback saw, the tray actually tilts up or down when one wheel leaves the rail and this translates into mitered cut lines. The new dewalt I received also tilts due to this lower middle wheel, but not as much as my Diamondback. With that said, the one display Diamondback unit I looked at did NOT have this third wheel bump.

Either way, returned my Dewalt unit. Might reorder another unit, but will probably just try to fix this bump on my Diamondback saw for the limited tile work that I do. HD does has a flooring special going....10% off $250+, which puts the saw w/ no stand @ $671 before tax.
Unread 05-04-2020, 08:15 AM   #671
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I think the bump is probably more how you first described it. It's never really bothered me and I don't even notice it anymore.

That's a pretty good price for that Dewalt though.

Unread 05-06-2020, 07:19 AM   #672
dtbingle

I left an email with DeWalt support regarding: 1) middle wheel being lower than the front/back, and 2) the top of the extension tray does not sit flush with the top of the table's rubber top.

I've already returned my saw since it was approaching the return cutoff with no resolution, but maybe someone else can investigate.

Solution problem 1: When the set screw above the left side middle wheel is loosened, the roller can easily be moved left-to-right. However, the Dewalt support rep said that the sleeve this set screw is in can also be spun from the bottom of the table to adjust the HEIGHT of this middle roller as well.

Solution problem 2: The guide pins on the extension tray are slotted and can also be adjusted by loosening them from the bottom of the extension tray.
Unread 05-10-2020, 07:22 AM   #673
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Anyone have a good website to get parts for the saw, I need the piece where the waterline ties into the housing that feeds water to the saw blade. I have 3 DeWalts currently so it's no hurry. I have had many DeWalts over the years and I wear them out and eventually get new ones. I can't say I have had many problems over the years, for the money great saw. Before this saw I had 3 QEPs and happy with them too.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2020, 01:30 PM   #674
dtbingle

Has anyone had rough motor sound that goes in and out on a new unit? Does it go away or is it normal?

Received my 2nd D24000 and the tray wheel height alignment is slightly better, but I'm noticing the motor has a very rough sound to it that sort of slowly pulses in and out. Tried to capture the sound at the youtube link here, but not sure how well the phone captures it. Is this what a bad bearing sounds like?

https://youtu.be/-JEo4ZaXtEU

Also took close to 2 weeks to get a hold of someone from dewalt technical support that could help with this saw. I was told that up to an 1/8" of tray play was their max acceptable tolerance and that it is common to have the tray bump as it enters the rails. Best they could offer is that if I shipped my saw in to a service center, they could adjust the rail height to within spec, but if the motor sound was "normal", I would have to pay return shipping.
Unread 07-03-2020, 07:21 AM   #675
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I think a little bit of that is normal for a worn in saw but I wouldn't want that on my brand new one.

I'm kind of wondering if the newer Dewalts are as good as the older ones.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase