Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-10-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
fearlessyp

Smile Conversion from old bathtub to new tiled shower enclosure

I am remodeling an older bathroom. I had a couple questions concerning the drain placement. My plan is to take out the existing tub, install the shower membrane in new mortar and once membrane is installed, pour new floor and construct a shower enclosure. My plans are to leave the drain for the existing tub in the same place for the new shower enclosure, and use the current drainage system. I am aware that the thickness of the floor will change of course. My questions are; (1) Is this an acceptable practice for this type of remodel, and (2) Once new floor is down before tile is installed, will a simple PVC extension work to attach the new drain (same as existing tub size) to the existing drain system. Do you for see any problems with this installation?

Any help and advice you ccan give me would be very much appreciated!
fearlessyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
EEEO
General (Tile) Contractor

It can certainly be done as you describe. If your floor is flat and level and meets deflection requirements, you might consider using Schluter's shower kit. They make a shower tray specifically for the application you're talking about.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Lots of problems! Sounds first like you plan to put the liner on the floor - it should go on top of a presloped bed. THen, you indicated you didn't want to change the drain line or its position...two bad things about that - a shower requires a 2" drain, your tub is likely a 1.5" one, and while you can do it, having the drain at the far end of the shower means that it will require a really significant slope at the short end.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
fearlessyp

Actually, I am going to put membrane on a sloped bed. If the current drainage system is working properly, why would couldn't I use it for the new drainage system? The shower I am installing is a standard 5 foot shower enclosure with a 24 inch deep shower seat built into the far wall facing the shower head. So actually the floor area will be at best 3 1/2 to 4 feet of area, once tub is removed and the shower floor reconstructed for floor drainage.

I am by no means an expert, and value any advice given. Am I chancing a failure of this shower system...
Old 08-11-2006, 06:39 AM   #5
EEEO

Jim, I took his comment "install the shower membrane in new mortar" to mean he was planning a preslope. I don't think you can buy a 1 1/2" 3 piece drain assembly. You'll probably end up having to buy a 2" and then reduce it to fit your existing 1 1/2" soil pipe. Ideally, as Jim points out, you'd upgrade the entire soil pipe to 2" to the stack, but that's not always feasible or practical.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
bbcamp

If you live in an area that requires inspection, you will be changing the 1-1/2" to 2".

And, you never want to reduce a drain pipe.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:40 AM   #7
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Hey Bob,

I've been noodling this question but haven't asked for fear that the answer is painfully obvious, but now I just gotta know. Will you please edumacate me on the reason a shower requires a 2" drain whereas a tub only needs a 1.5" drain? Seems a tub-o-water would need at least the same size drain as a shower would.....

Dan
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:47 AM   #8
bbcamp

Showers have no overflow (except what spills over the curb), so the drain has to flow faster than the water coming in. A tub can drain as slow as it wants.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #9
EEEO

Quote:
If you live in an area that requires inspection, you will be changing the 1-1/2" to 2".
My plumber has gotten away with murder on a few occasions, and that's with an inspector.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
jdm

Also, a tub is considered a reservoir, which gives one extra time to discover a slow or stopped drain before flooding occurs. For the same reason, a washer can drain into a utility sink with a 1 1/2" drain, but must have a 2" pipe if a standpipe is used.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #11
NVC
Tile Contractor -- Napa, CA.

What the other gents said. Overflow, laundry sink analogy all good.

The orange big box store carries 1-1/2" shower drains, why I dunno. I would go 2" back to the stack, if at all possible/reasonable.

hope this helps,
Mark
NVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:12 PM   #12
fearlessyp

Thank you tile god's...

I really appreciate all the information Gent's. I will take your advice of going to a 2" stack at top. However, I am unable to switch it all out. I certainly hope this will not cause me trouble in the future. Knowing what I do know from your advice now, I will be going into this project knowing the particulars of what could have become a serious issue had I not tapped into your wisdom. I will be taking extra care during the drain issue. Once again... Thank you tile god's...
Old 08-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #13
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

An inspector might be more annoyed with going from 2" to 1.5" than leaving it 1.5"...general rule of plumbing is never decrease the size of a pipe downstream. If he is really strict, he won't pass it with the 1.5" anywhere in that branch.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:19 AM   #14
NVC
Tile Contractor -- Napa, CA.

Hi, for clairification . . .

What Jim said. The vent goes out the top. The stack (vert. in multi-story bldgs.) is the main waste line, or a large pipe (usually 4" or larger) that connects to the main waste line (stack, even though it's horizontal)

The existing 1-1/2" tub drain goes back to a larger pipe somewhere (or should) the suggestions have been to replace this 1-1/2" with a 2" from the shower to the larger pipe.

hope this helps,
Mark
NVC is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase