Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-09-2005, 12:19 PM   #1
lisap

shower floor tiles cracking

We recently purchased a home that had an upstairs bedroom/bathroom added to it within the last two years. The walk-in shower has 1 1/2" tile on the floor that has recently begun to crack. The crack lines start at the sides of the shower (2 opposite sides), and the crack follows the grout line for awhile, then cracks through a tile, etc. I mention the cracking of the tile itself as I find it rather peculiar that the tile will actually crack rather than following the easier path of the grout line. There is no water leaking anywhere that we can find. We also are assuming there is a shower pan installed underneath! I know I will have to remove the tile and start again, but am a bit hesitant to do so, knowing that I have no clear idea what caused the problem. There is a crack on a wall in the bedroom that suggests the house (or addition) has settled. This leads me to think that the shower may have suffered the same fate. Do you have any advice as to what may have caused this, and how to fix it in order to assure that the same things won't happen again? Thanks so much. Lisa
lisap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-09-2005, 04:49 PM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Movement caused this to happen, either bad thinset coverage, movement in the substrate, the mud floor, or as you said, the house settled, this could have done it.

In any case, remove just the tile if you can, without damaging the mud base, if the mud is in good shape, use a good modified thinset to set new tile, otherwise try and remove the mud to the liner without damaging that and re-mud it.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2005, 04:58 PM   #3
stefan

I agree with rich
good luck fixing it

http://globalceramicdesign.com
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2005, 07:03 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Lisa,

I agree with the others. I think it's obvious that the floor settled at some point. I think I would try option two: remove the mortar, too. That way you can insert a sheet of metal lath or chicken wire into the mud bed. I don't usually use reinforcing in small residential showers, but it sounds as though this one needs it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase