Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-03-2005, 11:28 AM   #1
Faseel

Red face Roman Tub HELP

Hey guys,
Don't want to re-hash an old question, so if there is something in the archives that will help me, please direct me. Just so much to search.
OK issue:

I took out my old steal bath, demo'ed the walls and floor and im starting from bare walls. My wife has requested for me to build a roman style bath tub. Now I've some some heavy research and there is very little out there on the subject, but what I have found is this.

for the walls above the water line, backer board, (backer board cannot be infront of the liner)

The order then will be

install adjustable shower/bath drain base ( The floor is ground level, Cement base)
build tub support "box" out of 3/4 treated plywood, + reinforce wall studs
install liner (pushing drain base through)
tighen down drain top, adjust drain to depth of basen (be sure not to clogg seep holes)
Lauth the sides and base of tub box such that the lauth is self supporting (do not put in any nails, screws etc below the tub level, for it will puncher the liner)

stucco/cement the sides and base, Float out to drain such that the water runs down apporiately. (what should I use for this?)

install tile?

That about all my brain can handle. As you can see I think I have the basic steps... and anyone add what I might be missing...

Thank you!!!!

Faseel
Faseel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2005, 06:53 PM   #2
Faseel

Red face No help?? On the Roman Tub concept?

Wow, 19 views and no ideas?

I guess I'm doing this the right way. Well, if any one has any horror stories about a Roman bath please let me know. I'm going to build this thing in a few days and need to know if I just need to scrap the whole idea.

Thank you!
Old 01-03-2005, 06:55 PM   #3
DreamQueen

did you do a search on "roman" yet? It turns up a few pages of threads.

Dream
DreamQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:29 PM   #4
jdm

Faseel--

Don't start a second thread for the same question. Just make a new post to the old thread and it will pop to the top of the list. As for Roman tubs, I've never built one.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:42 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I've built a few. What's the question?

As to "views," look at all the threads. That's about average.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 08:26 PM   #6
Faseel

Red face Roman help

Thanks for getting back to me. Just feeling a little helpless. I did do a search on all the Roman tub threads and have read them all. Its starting to sound like a bad idea. My wife really wanted one, but will it cost more material wise than just going and buying one?

Also, from the threads, it seems like there is no good way to be sure the tub will not leak. Some folks say (for a cement floor) to wall 3/4 inch treated plywood, bed and level with mortor, then put in liner, punch down seep drain, lift drain to floor hight, don't cover seep holes, lauth and mortor again, being sure pitch is to the drain, use water resistant thin set , tile, grout, seal.

Others have suggest all types of barriers that just paint on the wood box, then lauth, mortor, tile.

This about right?

should I quit while I'm a head heheeh....?

Any help is welcome.

Thank you!
Old 01-03-2005, 08:50 PM   #7
DreamQueen

Check out these two links, also:

Bad news: http://www.terrylove.com/wwwboard/messages2/30478.html

Good news: http://www.handymanwire.com/articles...mbuiltspa.html

HTH,

Dream
DreamQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:48 PM   #8
Mike2

I'll merge the two Threads together.

Tip: If you post a question and get no action, rather than starting a new Thread, just submit a Reply to your first one, type "Bump" and your thread will bubble back up to the top. Now having said all that, please be aware than most all the pros you want to hear from are out working during the day so it may take awhile before someone views your question AND can help.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 01:59 AM   #9
SODEE

make sure you preslope under neath the liner. tar paper and lathe only if the base/floor is plywood.
SODEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:47 AM   #10
Faseel

Smile Thank you!

Thank you Mike,
I will note that for next time. Yea, I was a little jumpy there. Thank you also to Dream. Both articals are food for thought... build a roman... buy a tub.. sigh.. I've got 5'1" long so not many options. I'm not as afraid of building one now than I was a few days ago.

If anyone has anymore advise please do post it, I am very greatful for the help.

Faseel
Old 01-04-2005, 10:56 AM   #11
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I don't know Gene Trumbell and haven't read his book. It could be that he's talking about spas that will be built outdoors on the porch or in the patio, etc. If they seep a little the damage won't be great.

We, on the other hand, are talking about bathtubs that will always be indoors where the least little bit of seepage can be disasterous. I don't think you, or any newbie without experience, should tackle a project like this. Of course, I get overruled often.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 01:38 PM   #12
Westie
Engineer -- Alberta

John may comment on this, as he is the expert on Kerdi. What about using a Kerdi drain and Kerdi to make the tub out of. The only problem I see with this is plugging the drain when you want to fill the tub up. Maybe a piece of rubber over the top of the drain would work.
Westie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 01:49 PM   #13
bbcamp

I heard that Schluter was working on combining a Kerdi drain with a standard overflow and stop. I don't know why someone couldn't adapt one and make it themselves.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 05:57 PM   #14
Faseel

Smile Faseel here

Yea,
After much consideration and your guys advise, I'll save that project for later on (in life that is). We only plan to stay in this house another few years and should really consider the resale value. heh, It might be hard to find a buyer for a 3/2 with one walk in shower and one Giant poorly built Roman tub.
As always everyone has been great.

After install my soon to be purchased 3 wall bathtub, I thought maybe for a compromise I'd build up a 4th wall in a roman like fashion, sticking to neutral colors but giving the whole thing a nice tiled look.

If this is a thumbs up, should I keep the 4th wall at the same height of the 4th side of the bathtub or extend it higher?

If I do the higher verison, should I just stick to center wall construction rules for a normal bath/shower?

Sorry board admin's I'm new to forums, should I have started a new string for this.. I just figured is a stream of thought sort of thing...

Thank you!!
Old 01-04-2005, 06:13 PM   #15
jdm

You could purchase a "drop in" style tub, for which you would build a (tiled) front wall and deck inside your 3-wall niche. Tub just drops into an appropriately-sized hole in the deck. Much less difficult than a roman tub. Probably more comfortable to sit in, too.

And I can guarantee that your house will sell for much more than one with a waterfall below a roman tub.

Good luck.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase