Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #1
Justlearningtile123

Mixing waterproofing methods or not

I am trying to waterproof our remodeled shower and found out about this after the pan was installed with preslope, drain, and liner. I have been having trouble with the handyman who has never waterproofed a bathroom and wasn't willing to learn or purchase supplies with me. So he put kerdi membrane on the walls but it didn't seal well at the base where it meets the pan. And there is one air bubble. I told him to stop as i would attempt to figure things out but before I could he started tiling the next day and red guarded the pan after that. So now there are some tiles at base, red guard over pan, traditional drain, and some minor mistakes in the kerdi. My question is can I mix these 2 systems? Can I successfully put thinset over redguard and seal up the pan up to the wall? Or is there another way to fix this without ripping everything out. I got him to stop by taking away the key to the house. And looking to find another contractor. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Carolyn.

No idea how your thread arrived in the Tutorial Development forum, but I've moved it here to the Advice forum.

If your shower had a traditional receptor properly prepared, there was no need for the wall waterproofing to be in any way connected to the anything at the bottom of the walls. A bit unusual to use Kerdi on the walls of such a shower, but it would have worked just fine if everything were done correctly.

As it is, with RedGard now applied to the floor, you've created a problem where none existed. That might be easily corrected by removing the RedGard, or removing and replacing the top mud bed.

But a bit more detail on exactly what was done at the bottom of the walls might be helpful and even more helpful would be some photos of the construction if you have any available. You can attach photos from storage on your computer using the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

There are many engineered methods to building a shower. Problem is, they are systems. WHen you mix methods, without understanding the ramifications, you can mess things up radically. It's usually best to follow one system and stick with it. The key, though, on any of them, is to understand and follow the proper procedure.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Carolyn,

We definitely need some pics, the best ones you can produce.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase