Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
Portrunner

Advice, Contractor grout too light

Hi, Just found this forum today. We hired a contractor to remodel the kitchen and put 1000 square feet of tile in. We picked Mapei Sahara Beige grout to blend the joints. Ultimately, we were left with varying shades of grout and haze all over the tiles. I contacted Mapei and they were very nice. They told me about cleaning the haze and also their grout refresher as we believe the grout was over washed or too much water was added to the mix. The contractor doesn't believe that the grout color was caused by his workers. We did mix the grout according to instructions to patch a grout hole and the color was perfect as displayed in one of the pictures. On top of everything the contractor painted the ceiling after having the floor installed and they left nice specks of white paint all over the tile. They tried to clean it but are now at the point where they believe I am too picky. I had an estimate from a company that specializes in grout to paint my grout and it was $2000. They state that the grout is flush in many places and needs to be ground down to create a channel for the paint/stain to adhere properly too. I am willing to pay for half of the grout to be repainted but am worried as I have read many places that a contractor is not required to do good work. The work is done but it is sloppy. I live in Florida if anyone is familiar with the laws. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you. Rich
Attached Images

Unread 07-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Grout above the tile is sloppy by anyone's standards. Your not being to picky. Paint on the tile is not acceptable. It should clean off ok but on the grout not so easy. He should have mixed the different bags of grout together. Were the grout bags from the same n as tch? Good luck.
Unread 07-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #3
Portrunner

There was only one bag of grout. Mapei had me test the color of the grout by mixing a ratio of 3.5 to 1. The color came out perfect. I believe they added to much water to the mix and then possibly over washed it. There were pools of water on the tile when they were washing the grout off.
Unread 07-08-2019, 03:34 PM   #4
Fast eddie part deux

I have read many places that a contractor is not required to do good work.

You must be reading too much facebook. I believe the IBC does require contractors to install materials in a workman like manner. Which means to industry standards. I bet they used too much water in the grout so it would flow easily into the spaces.
Unread 07-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Yep. Too much water in the mix and/or overwetting the tiles during the wash....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Pour a little vinegar over a splotchy grout joint and let it sit there about 5 minutes. Then scrub it well with a scrub brush and rinse it with clean water. Let it dry and see if it looks any better.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #7
Portrunner

Thank you for all the advice. The contractor is going to pay for half of the grout painting. I am still a little worried as some of the grout comes out with my fingernail. The grout painting company does seem to be professional. They stated if there are problems with the grout they add grout and mix the new color into it. They did a sample under where my dishwasher will be and it came out good. The only negative is that the grout will not be flush and thus harder to clean as per him. Thanks
Attached Images

Unread 07-09-2019, 06:32 AM   #8
Fast eddie part deux

The installed should pay 100% of the cist to make it right.

If the grout is removabke with your fingernail, it was mixed too wet. In regular concrete work, like a sidewalk, every gallon if water added to a cy of concrete reduces the ultimate strength by 100 psi. Same effect on your grout, which is a cementitious product.

If the grout painting company plans to add a skim coat of grout on top of the existing grout ... its going to be extremely thin. And are they proposing to do that after the painting doesnt work? Will the new grout stick to the paint?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase