Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #16
Fast eddie part deux

Mike ... if are still buying tools ... this is a great opportunity to go to that much maligned source ... Harbor Freight ... and buy a cheap 1/2" slow speed drill to mix the slc.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #17
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

I was told to mix the SLC at high speed just don't en-train any air.??
ALso I read where the water is just right if a small bead of water forms at the vortex. I guess it means the particles all have a mating H2O. I got this every batch,.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #18
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

It can get a bit confusing. You install the levelers first if you are putting a membrane over them. However, if you want to use cement board then install that first- then use the levelers.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:02 PM   #19
Mike340

Just noticed your replies from July - sorry for the late response. Didn't get an email to let me know you responded. Anyway, thanks all for the advice.

Ed - I have a 1/2" drill on order from Harbor Freight and it should be here Friday.

I got wet feet about the SLC - it just isn't in my comfort zone, so I am using 1/4" Durock as a bonding layer for the tile and will use leveler over the CBU if required.

I plan on using the Durock brand screws to fasten down the CBU to the 3/4 T&G floor (with thinset over the plywood).

Are the Durock screws the best to use, especially on the 1/4 CBU? I have used these screws when I fastened the 1/2 CBU in the tub alcove and had to be very careful to minimize the cracking and crumbling. Read somewhere on the forum about someone using a different screw that was better. Any opinions on this? Any particular technique to avoid cracking along the edges (USG says the screws should be between 3/8 - 5/8 from the edge)

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #20
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Mike....make sure you embed the panels in thinset...mixed on the "loose" side just before you screw them down....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #21
Mike340

Thanks Laz.

I plan to use Versabond polymer modified and will make sure to mix it somewhat loose.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase