Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-27-2018, 10:20 PM   #46
Radas
Tile Newbie

Was reading on JLC and Terry Love last night on different methods to run pex through an Attic space above the shower without risking frozen pipes and damage to fittings. The general consensus was that the uninsulated pex should be run under the bat insulation as close to the drywall as possible to take advantage of radiant heat from the room below without the use of excessive fittings.

I came up with a solution this evening to shield the rain can plumbing from frost while centering the drop ear fitting to the drain. I began by pushing up the bat insulation (& ~6" of blown in) to accept 2x4 blocking as well as 2" of XPS foam. I wedged the XPS between the blocking and attic baffles to prevent rushing air from the soffits to come in contact with the 1/2" pex line. I then used a pex 90 bracket to bend and run the pex through the wall where the valve and diverter will be located.

Ignore the spray foam mess, I had a lot of extra foam and figured I wouldn't let the can go to waste. I also added blocking for the frameless shower enclosure. All blocking was leveled, flush with the ceiling, and attached using pocket holes/screws for strength.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Attached Images

..a new excuse to hoard tools

Last edited by jgleason; 02-11-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:49 AM   #47
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Pocket screws for those 2X4's Ali?

I thought I was going over board by using construction screws for the additional blocking I installed in my ceiling (I actually used screws for all the framing I did).

You're a serious over-achiever.
Attached Images

ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #48
speed51133

I've used pocket screws to frame a shower, but never took the time to drill the holes with the jig! Nice!

I always hate how sloppy framers put nails in.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #49
smifwal

Quote:
..a new excuse to hoard tools!
somebody has themselves a kreg cabinet jig, Nice!!!
Old 12-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #50
Radas
Tile Newbie

Dan, I got the blocking idea from looking at your bathroom renovation which makes mine look like child's play. The straight lines and cleanliness satisfies the OCD haha.

Mike, that's exactly why I used pocket holes, screws, and a level. It would bug the hell out of me knowing there were a bunch of lopsided 2x4s behind layers of drywall and tile.

Shawn, I ended up buying the Porter Cable quick jig before it was popular, check out videos, it puts the kreg to shame!

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-.../dp/B004ADJQTO

Old 12-28-2018, 02:28 PM   #51
ss3964spd

"The straight lines and cleanliness satisfies the OCD"

That it does. Though I didn't use my Kreg jig I did use bar clamps to prevent the 2X's from moving, then pre-drilled the holes to keep them from splitting.

An illness, it is.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:34 PM   #52
Radas
Tile Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
An illness, it is.
It's a blessing and a curse.

Ready for drywall. Got the plumbing all done with PEX, tested every connection with a go/no go gauge and pressurized the system. Also added R3 XPS to the wall with plumbing on it for sound deadening.

The drop ell to the right of the mixer is for the hand shower hose and the drop ell in the ceiling is for an 8" rain can. Delta R10000 mixer and R11000 3/6 diverter if anyone is curious.

Edit* I just noticed that I need to secure the 12/2.

Attached Images

Last edited by jgleason; 02-11-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:30 PM   #53
makethatkerdistick

Looks good, Ali. I like your attention to detail. I am always a bit unsettled by those PEX connections and I know I shouldn't be because they're fine. I am just a 100% copper/sweat guy when it comes to plumbing inside walls.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:37 PM   #54
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, one of the main benefits of pex is its flexibility and the ability to omit many fittings. Each fitting in the type you chose creates a restriction and can reduce the working pressure and volume down the line. While it doesn't look as neat, you could have easily omitted a bunch of fittings, saved yourself some time and money. It might look funky, but then, you're covering it all up. Each connection is also a possible point of failure. ONe can run it similarly to copper, but why?
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:43 PM   #55
Radas
Tile Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethatkerdistick View Post
Looks good, Ali. I like your attention to detail. I am always a bit unsettled by those PEX connections and I know I shouldn't be because they're fine. I am just a 100% copper/sweat guy when it comes to plumbing inside walls.
Thank you Wolfgang. Our entire house is plumbed in PEX with the exception of required copper stub outs and water heater/furnace. I figure, what's another wall with PEX in it? Haha

Old 12-28-2018, 11:07 PM   #56
Radas
Tile Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
FWIW, one of the main benefits of pex is its flexibility and the ability to omit many fittings. Each fitting in the type you chose creates a restriction and can reduce the working pressure and volume down the line. While it doesn't look as neat, you could have easily omitted a bunch of fittings, saved yourself some time and money. It might look funky, but then, you're covering it all up. Each connection is also a possible point of failure. ONe can run it similarly to copper, but why?
Thanks Jim. There are 4 90s I debated on excluding, but they made the run go a little easier. As for the cost of fittings and time, $10 and the milwaukee short throw makes little work of the crimping.

I did follow your advice to others on Terry Love regarding PTFE tape and pipe dope, very helpful and kept my fittings from leaking the first time without adjustments.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:58 AM   #57
ss3964spd

Did you install those shut off's so you could restore water to the rest of the house while you finished the shower plumbing, Ali? Any code compliance issue with those valves being inaccessible?
Old 12-29-2018, 07:27 AM   #58
Radas
Tile Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd View Post
Did you install those shut off's so you could restore water to the rest of the house while you finished the shower plumbing, Ali? Any code compliance issue with those valves being inaccessible?
Dan, that would be correct. Not that I know of, I dug through Michigan UPC and didn't find anything. A quick search on Terry love gave me nothing other than 'adding a shut off for a shower is either pointless or personal preference.'

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.p...cessary.34321/

Old 12-29-2018, 07:56 AM   #59
speed51133

Wink

if you are ocd, you could have notched the studs for the steel plates to prevent a hump
Old 12-29-2018, 09:42 AM   #60
smifwal

I like the shutoffs but I normally put them so they are accessable if you every need to replace the valve then you can shut off just the shower and not the whole house. In your case might have put them below so you could access them from the ceiling or even in the wall below and make a access panel and put a picture over it. As for those plates a planner makes quick work for notching. Those things will cause bump in your wall that you will be cussing at, as you set tile

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase