Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-04-2019, 02:00 PM   #91
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

I feel kind of silly kerdi corners on the outside of the shower door but I guess the steam will come out
Attached Images

Unread 05-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #92
Elkski

Can't believe how long it takes to do all these corners and kerdi band. Can install the bench now.
Just need to seal around the pipes. I will use the circles
With 3/4" holes and kerdi fix.
I bought a few 1/2" ones with rubber boot but I guess you need 3/4" for 1/2" nipples? I was slowed a bit installing the light but 13 hour day for ceiling and one wall strip and the corners. But my thickness is pretty small.
Attached Images

Unread 05-05-2019, 12:23 PM   #93
Elkski

Better bench

Nothing seems to go easy on s shower job. always so many things to consider starting at the doorways tile thickness thinset thickness bench height, valve height, etc.
I'm aiming for a bench height 17 in + a smidge as I read 17-19 is ADA.
I remember reading to install the bench level front to back and then do the slope with the mud. But it appears my medsupport is wanting to slope me downward why don't I just install the bench with a slope. Since it's 14 in I'm looking at a quarter inch plus.

I admit to being a dog and a slob but I have my limits.
Attached Images

Unread 05-05-2019, 12:39 PM   #94
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

You are supposed to slope the bench before tiling. The idea is the waterproofing is sloped to the drain.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2019, 01:54 PM   #95
cx
Moderator emeritus

Teddy, I think you'll find that Inovis instructions (you did read the instructions, of course) for the Better Bench recommend you install the bench frame level and slope the top when you fill it with mortar.

If you install a waterproofing membrane over the bench (I do), that will provide the proper slope for your waterproof membrane.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2019, 08:04 PM   #96
Elkski

Took all day. I installed the Bench level. Got a good 5/16" slope on it using my laser level. Laser was also godo for checking the scree job. I could use the Laser line and measure down the back, midline, and front. It helped me correct for the left side that is 1/16" low ( metal thickness) from being the larger outside half. Talk about frustrating to fill the front slope of the mid support. I have decided I would charge 750$ labor plus material for a bench like this. . I did hit my 2x6 blocking with the 18-20 screws. The flimsy thing did get more solid with each screw.
It went pretty good considering it was my first mud job. 2.5 premixed bags.

I have questions on what joint to use between the tile and bench if I get a 1 piece granite bench?
I planned to tile the wall and ceiling first then drain mud pan I. Do I just put a ledger board up? And kerdi fix or kerdi bandaids to cover the screw holes? I should be ready to make a bench template and start tiling after tomorrow.
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 05-06-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #97
Elkski

CX, at first it seemed like the mid support was going to put some slope in the bench. I didn't want to shim it. But it turned out that it was close to level. I didn't have a helper to do the pre fitting do I made a mistake when trying to hold the mid support against the wall and a level and the ends and back on the lines. I had to build the bench right in place because it would not have fit in the shower after at maximum width if I built it outside of the shower. By the way when I talked to schlueter they said I could expand this bench to 62 with a mid-span support when the specs said 60 in max. I wanted a bigger shower and I was moving the side jet wall anyway. Yes I read the directions long ago but I figured a little slope wouldn't hurt things if that's what The mid-span wanted.
Attached Images

Last edited by cx; 05-05-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Unread 05-06-2019, 05:06 AM   #98
Elkski

Here is a finished pic

How long should the mud bed cure before putting in kerdi?
I've read many things but seem to remember it's good to kerdie the next morning and that's my plan.

Looking in the Schluter catalog I only see one metal edge that will work on top of the granite as a wall joint. The DIKEX-AHKA with end caps and 2 Inside corners but my granite would have a rounded polished edge that hangs over 1" and I can't see how I would be able to make that work. I guess I could just go with that tiny portion of my whole shower with a grout line at plane changes. Amy thoughts on this? I just don't want the dirty looking moldy cracked grout line at the plane changes on this shower ever!
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 05-06-2019 at 06:46 AM.
Unread 05-06-2019, 06:17 AM   #99
cx
Moderator emeritus

As soon as you feel man enough to work on that fresh mud, Teddy. Overnight was probably long enough, but you'll want it firm enough that you can notch your thinset mortar on it without digging into the mud.

All I did to your post #97 was remove the self-quote that you said you didn't intend.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 05-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #100
Elkski

Quick question do I have to kerdi the mid support?
The mud bed was solid. I didn't dig in. Schluter needs inside corners for these sloped benches and ceilings.
Unread 05-06-2019, 12:38 PM   #101
cx
Moderator emeritus

According to the manufacturer you are not required to Kerdi any of that bench, Teddy.

Unread 05-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #102
Elkski

I guess I should start spending some time rereading these things. This project has been going on for 12 months.
I will probably stick with plans to use brown floor tile on the bench. Unless I find a matching granite remnant.
Attached Images

Unread 05-06-2019, 05:22 PM   #103
Elkski

I'm thinkking ahead and I have a couple 3 issues.
1- I only planned on rondec the rounded metal for the top of the bench. This may leave a cut edge on the bottom front. Would this look ok? Would it be sharp and maybe cut your leg? Should I plan on factory edges? Or rondec?
Next I got the 125 mm thickness which is 1/2" my tile is .350" will I be able to get my thinset to lift the tile so much? I thought so but then I read on that description it says this is for 1/2" tile. But that means zero room for thinset on top if the metal flange. I did plan on 1/2" trowel. I also ordered my dikex-eke big. I got the U13/O12 Because I was worried I wouldn't be able to fit my .360" tiles inside the U11/O10 mm. My 13 mm channel is measuring .540" I get a gap of .18" The tiles I'm using are the ones I planned so if I special ordered the 11 sticks if wrong size it's my fault for not asking.
The dilex seems to have a up and down direction than makes sense. Point the step up and channel horizontal? Seems good for water drainage. But what about when using in the vertical corners? It seems like I need to be careful not to put the channels facing each other on one wall or I won't be able to slide the tiles under. Unless you inky slide under say 1/8" which maybe my grout line spacing. It is there no issue installing the last tile into a channel? As the picture shows.
I have a full 1/8" I need to lift my tile to be flush with the 125 mm rondec and quadec in the doorway and knee wall.

#2 is about my mud bed on the cement. Any prep required?
#3 is how do I support my linear drain. my reality is this lab is very unlevel in fact I had to chisel down three eighths of an inch on the right side for the drain insert to sit lower in the middle it is more space than the foam spacer they supply and the foam spacer is about right on the other end of the drain. I am using the fermco rubber boot with clamps I need to be able to screw tight then fill in my drain hole with sand and the last bit with thinset or something. I had planned on 1/8" thinset lift on my chiseled end. Maybe I set in thinset one day and do the mudpan the next? Mudpan can be rammed in the middle for support. I also worry about not damaging the kerdi flaps on the drain when screeing.
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 05-06-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Unread 05-07-2019, 05:01 AM   #104
Elkski

I think a 1/2 sq notch should give me 3/16" bed pretty easy at a 45 degree angle.
Do I do the ceiling first? I have read about during the walls first except for the top row so you can match up the grout lines of the ceiling? I also read about putting a grout circle Target in the center of your tile so it will suck onto the ceiling better.
Do I use a mortar like ultrafex LFT by mapei?
Even if it's modified?
W I will wear steel toe boots. This may kill this old man's shoulders. If I use the DILEX-AHKA on all joints I will have to miter and put up 3 to start. This is going to require some sceib lines as to the plane since it's not level. Tiling is like a game of chess.
Do I cover the walls in plastic? This is going to be messy.

Last edited by Elkski; 05-07-2019 at 06:10 AM.
Unread 05-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #105
Elkski

So much planning in a layout with a niche and a waterfall buy the three side Jets. I have sloped ceiling and bench all these different heights to make sure I don't have any sliver of tiles anywhere before I commit to some tile line. I'm an engineer but this is crazy.

I'm thinking about starting with the niche?
maybe put my ledger boards right below that so the first row of tiles incorporates the niche and quadec molding
Pretty please I need someone to hold my hand this morning

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase