Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #76
cx
Da Home Builder

I would definitely Kerdi the walls before installing the Better Bench.

I would Tile the ceiling and walls except for the bottom row and, depending upon the chosen grout, probably grout all that before installing the drain and sloped shower floor.

All dealer's choice, of course.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:44 AM   #77
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

I think that sounds good CX. I need to pick tiles so I can pick metal for the wall/wall and wall ceiling corners and wall floor as well as the rest. I hope it's not a long wait to get. But I can install kitchen cabinets and do other Things.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:00 PM   #78
Elkski

I am going to use some Schulter Rondec round corner metal for the vertical door edges, the niche, as well as my bench edge and the knee wall trim.
I want to use the Dilex EKE for the wall to floor joint as its flexible... can I also use this for the inside corners on the vertical walls in the shower? if so how do I make that joint where 3 lines meet? and should I consider using it on the ceiling to wall joints?
Old 01-31-2019, 03:05 PM   #79
rmckee84

There is a video on YouTube from schluter about a 3 way corner using dilex it looks like they just butt them. I wouldnt use it on the ceiling transition.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:17 AM   #80
Elkski

well the shower tile job has been on hold until the ceiling painting is finished. everything is all primed and last (#3 spray on ceilings today.

It may be a few weeks till i get to shower tile.
But I do wan t to ask about the kitchen back splash.
I was not able to convince the painter to not paint the back splash area so this wall has been primed and maybe some ceiling flat paint.
How do i tile on this surface?
Old 02-09-2019, 09:22 AM   #81
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Tile over as normal. The primer isn't a bad thing in this case

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:00 AM   #82
Elkski

ok so it is now shower time. Amazing how long this whole 2 bdroom basement MIL apartment has taken me., IT may be 2 more months at this rate. tile and schluter metal onsite now. Shower valve flushed and leak tested. I started putting up kerdi. It was going good until this last piece on the right and I forgot to wet down the drywall. I now have two walls complete. in two batches of mud. My mud was a bit to wet so I figured if I hurry I may be ok. but its so dry here it was taking me 2-3 wet sponge wipes on the other places to get a damp look that would last. I may try to peel it off this am 13 hours after install. On this section I didn't do a coverage peel back as it was going so good up until then. I also thought hey why not tape some seams with this left over mud. But I now think I should have tap[ed the ceiling joints first as now my kerdi band may bulge out a bit.

If I peel it off and replace the buildup will ruin my perfect flat wall. But I don't want horizontal 1x2's falling do I. I'm also thinking horizontal kerdi would have been easier?

Oh I did chamfer the door corners maybe 3/16" is that enough? Do I just plan to use full width sheet and wrap around the doors? Should I do at lest one prefold?
Oh and yes this is old kerdi. no grid on it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 05-03-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #83
Elkski

Thst one piece looked better today. Putting up ditra isn't so easy or fast in a shower as I thought.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #84
cx
Da Home Builder

Be easier and faster the next time, Teddy.

Old 05-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #85
Elkski

it just takes time.. precut pieces or at least length, mix the thinset wet down the walls (crucial i think), then butter the walls and then add more and trowel out. then rub down the wall better than my body has had in a year. go until bucket is empty and clean all the tools. I'm trying to motivate for the ceiling and upper kereck corners and back kerdi band...B ut maybe a bike ride first? it was 32 and freezing Wednesday and 2" of snow but now 66f and so sunny. I will try to mount the better the bench fill with mud and kerdi. I am thinking to get a granite bench cap made. im using a whitish tile on the walls and brown on the floor. maybe a grey granite bench? any issues with granite in the steam shower? or should I go tile?
Old 05-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #86
makethatkerdistick

Granite is great in a shower, Teddy. Better than softer, more absorbing stones like marble. Especially if you chose a dark granite, the risk of visible staining is small to non-existent. I personally tiled my bench with a Schluter profile and the porcelain tile I used on the floor. Matter of taste.
If you go the granite route and feel confident, you can easily cut smaller pieces on your tile saw. It cuts much more easily than porcelain. Plus, if you get a sander with diamond pads, it's reasonably possible to finish the edges to your satisfaction. That way, you can get some cheap remnants and save a ton of money. I've done it and it worked great.

CX, many of us non-professionals are doing this so there won't be a "next time." At least that's the hope. Personally, I've never done anything on my home that was so involved and demanding. I love what I learned but I am also glad I don't have to do it ever again anytime soon again.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:39 PM   #87
cx
Da Home Builder

Someday when you've got a couple hours you don't need, Wolfgang, let's sit down and I'll tell you some of my stories about my customers who were having me build something that they were never gonna change or do again. Some of'em have helped me pay a lot of bills with that kinda talk.

Old 05-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #88
Elkski

NoI have a very reasonable priced fabricator. I was able to get 48"x 12" window sills done for 60$ that's 48" of polished edge. I made the templates and they set right in. This bench will be about 15" X62" I was going to use floor or wall tile but I was right near needing another box of tile. Plus I started thinking the granite will be seam free. I did buy rondec. The only issue is I bought and planned to use dikex-eke on wall to bench tile joint like everywhere else . No stores carry the dilex-ahka. I have two sticks coming for the kitchen backsplash maybe I can pirate one but it takes like 7 to 10 days to get it. I don't really want to have any silicon joints in my shower what other options do I have?
Well I can say ceiling installs should cost double. Not very fun. I made my mud on the stiff side but still made a mess. I'm going to just toss these clothes but I have to wash my ladder each time.
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 05-04-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #89
makethatkerdistick

CX, if you saw my checkbook, you'd run from me. Unless my showers leak or self-destruct, they're not going anywhere in the decades to come. Hopefully, in 2050 I'll be able to attest to the longevity of the Kerdi system. But by then, I might need curbless entry for those then old bones. Maybe there'll be a redo after all.

Teddy, you're doing nice work there. My clothes always looked like yours after the project. Not even to mention the stepladder.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #90
Elkski

I love my ladder. I mean the treads were 89% filled.
Thanks for the compliment. I'm going curbless so I thought I had a little bit. So I found a solution for the sloped ceiling and kerdi corners at the top but not the bottom. At the top I just happen to have a thyroid in the drywall and the excess flap will fold in there nicely. Put on the bottom of the slope it tries to stretch the fabric and pucker it up I'm not really sure there's a good solution without a cut?
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase