Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-09-2019, 07:16 PM   #196
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You can make the speed bump what ever size you want. The only purpose for it is to keep the door from dragging the bath floor. Plus, the speed bump gives you a little more pitch in case it's needed. Otherwise you don't need it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2019, 06:15 AM   #197
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Since I have a ramp going up into the house shower and the peak at the door line and then it slopes down to the drain the door should not drag even if I use a sweep.
I don't really want a peak with a grout joint right below the door so putting a strip across is a good idea. I can make this strip extremely perpendicular to the door mounting wall. It will reduce the angles between each change of plane. Using Dilex-EKE complicates the installation quite a bit and requires quite a bit of calculating and consternation. Plus this is my first Schluter linear grate to set and I really don't like the design so much. This grate is made out of very thin gauge material like 24-26 and the only thing supporting this grate in the channel body is going to be a half inch thick wall of thinset. The channel body flange does have a folded over lip a little bit.
In carpentry they say measure twice and cut once but if you do make a mistake you can always just Chuck that piece of wood but in tiling it's a whole different story of permanence. As I drink my morning coffee contemplating my day I want to salute all Tiler's in the world for their dedication and abilities that many many people don't appreciate. Many consumers even myself are like why do Tile guys charge so much? well the answer is if you want a job that's done right looks good it's going to last for 50 years you better pay a good price.

Last edited by Elkski; 07-10-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2019, 08:01 AM   #198
Elkski

The Schluter grate design is a very sad example of engineering much less German engineering. Half The plastic 1/8" thick spacers that the leveling screws go into stripped out with no Force ever being applied. I am cutting little tile spacers that I will use to set the height
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 07-10-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Unread 07-10-2019, 07:20 PM   #199
Elkski

My new gently used phone S9+ is having picture issues here.

Well I did other things most of the day but did manage to set this grate this evening. I used about 10 tile spacers to get the height as close as I could with my laser I threw away the worthless plastic spacers.
Cutting spacers was a trial-and-error thing very tedious maybe took me an hour. I did cut the dialects for the back half of the shower and I set these two end tiles
Attached Images

Unread 07-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #200
makethatkerdistick

I didn't have that problem with the plastic parts which hold the spacing screws. I think the grate frame is just fine, thin as it is. The mortar will support it sufficiently. At least you got 316SS there with a bit of molybdenum mixed in for extra corrosion resistance against uric acid. Helpful if you have young kids using the shower or if your municipal water is heavily chlorinated.
Unread 07-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #201
Radas
Tile Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethatkerdistick View Post
I didn't have that problem with the plastic parts which hold the spacing screws. I think the grate frame is just fine, thin as it is. The mortar will support it sufficiently. At least you got 316SS there with a bit of molybdenum mixed in for extra corrosion resistance against uric acid. Helpful if you pee in the shower
Sorry, couldn't help it lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2019, 09:11 AM   #202
Elkski

What happens in as shower goes down the same ABS.

I find it surprising this kerabond T didn't dry in 12 hours in just that little thin supporting amount around the drain
Unread 07-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #203
Elkski

I have a question regarding the top of the ramp coming out of the shower. My tile has a linear grain to it and I'm wondering if putting across ways tile looks okay or not at the speed bump. it's not really a speed bump because I think it will just be slightly shallower angle with about 1 inch and a quarter on the downhill side to the center of the glass and 3/4 on the other side to the ramp. I will still need one grout joint with 2 lengthwise, or 2 grout joints if I go with the same grain and three pieces.
Attached Images

Unread 07-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #204
Kman

Either way looks fine. Running the grain against the tile, like in the first picture, kinda defines the space a little.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2019, 06:55 PM   #205
Elkski

I thought the cross grain Mark's the high step. I liked I th. I didn't think about defining the space. But sounds good. I finished back tiles. I set the door tile but the others are just in place for spacers. I made those two tiles so level and straight it's amazing. Now I can start tiling in the room and then get back in the shower and other day
Attached Images

Unread 07-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #206
Elkski

Well only 2 shower floor tiles left to go. I am working on the bathroom floor now. It took longer than I thought to get these 8 tiles level. It seems I need more thinset than a 1/2" gives me. I set the level a tad high with those tiles coming off the ramp and first 2 floor tiles. Can I use 1/2 inch trowel on the floor and a quarter inch on the back of the tile? These tiles seem to be very close in size so my grout lines are looking good lipage not bad. I'm using about 3# per tile. 35 sq ft/ bag.
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 07-20-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Unread 07-20-2019, 06:41 AM   #207
Lou_MA

Quote:
Can I use 1/2 inch trowel on the floor and a quarter inch on the back of the tile?
Yes. Comb both in the same direction.
Unread 07-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #208
Elkski

Thanks lou. I did need a smidge bit more than just a 1/2" provided. It sure is better to have to squish excess out then to pull the tile up and add a little extra. The tile seem to burp okay. I'm looking ahead to putting in this toilet flange and I'm thinking surely three or four bolts is plenty on a cement floor? There are six holes and also what Fasteners do you use? I have a cement drill I've never used tapcons but they seemed like maybe they would be good for this job. I'm thinking I will knock out the tile like someone suggested rather than drill through the tile afterwards.

I do think my tiles are very uniform in size and fairly flat and I'm learning how hard it is to control lippage perfectly like I expected of myself. I don't think I've ever worried about this so much before I think my OCD is growing stronger as I get older.
Attached Images

Unread 07-29-2019, 03:20 PM   #209
Elkski

My next question is on door transitions. One is 11/16 one 1 1/16" I dont think about I have seen a transition so tall? Any ideas. Of course I can machine something out of Rosewood , Walnut, or Oak.

I will post some progress pictures I'm now cutting in the bottom two rows in the shower area and putting on the bench and the metal and all the dilex trim. My ditra heat cables check out okay after installation and of course grout cleaning which I made a tool that could only go down 3/16 to 1/4 inch.
Attached Images

Last edited by Elkski; 07-29-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Unread 08-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #210
Elkski

I can't believe how much time I've spent on this shower and bathroom tile job. Just doing the remaining two rows in the shower and outside the shower on the walls after I finished the floor is a pain in the butt. So many cuts and laying on your side making measurements how do you guys make any money in Tiling a shower?
The good news is I got the bench done. The bad news about these better benches is having to tile under them. I'm wondering if I just slap some tile on that bench mid support angle triangle or do I bother with metal? I may even leave the left side plane because the only way you'll see it as if you are on the floor inside the shower

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase