Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #46
Mdcdvm

Understood. How then are the glass clamps attached on the curb?
Unread 07-18-2019, 04:50 AM   #47
Mdcdvm

Any takers on this one?
Unread 07-18-2019, 05:49 AM   #48
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Clamps on the curb...you just don't want to penetrate the water proofing layer. What most here seem to do, and have success with, is drilling a hole into the tile without getting into the water proofing. Cut the attaching screws at the same length as the hole is deep, squeeze epoxy into the hole and cover the bottom of the clamp with epoxy, then set the clamp and screw into it. Clean the area, wait for epoxy to set.

If your tile is 3/8" and you allow for 1/8" of mortar, a 1/2" deep hole will ensure you don't poke a hole in the WP. Cut the screw a 1/2" and the thickness of the clamp will ensure the screw doesn't bottom out in the hole.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2019, 08:36 PM   #49
Mdcdvm

1)Is there a specific type/brand of epoxy you would recommend?
2)Is it possible to just silicone the clamp to the curb?
Unread 07-20-2019, 01:47 AM   #50
Kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Is it possible to just silicone the clamp to the curb?
I've done that before with success. Depends on how much surface area you have to work with on the clamp, and the surface of the tile.

I'd clean the tile with rubbing alcohol, let it dry a few minutes, then apply the silicone and clamp. I like GE 100% silicone II. Use masking tape to hold it in place. I'd let it dry for a day at least, then see how it does. It should feel pretty solid. If it doesn't, I'd go the other route.

Keep in mind that the weight of the glass will hold it down, so it would take a shear lateral force to break it loose, i.e. someone pushing on the glass with a good amount of force.

Someone else might have a recommendation for an epoxy adhesive that would hold better than silicone. Just make sure you have the placement exactly where you want it before the epoxy sets. You'd likely damage the tile before you could get the clamp loose.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #51
ZZZK

I drill the tile about 3/8 to insure it doesnt hit the water proofing. I measure and cut a stainless screw to go in the hole which will act as a stud to transfer lateral loads to the tile. I mask off the tile around the bracket and fill the hole and coat base of the bracket with laticrete latipoxy 310 stone epoxy. When this setup hardens it is very strong just make sure you fill the hole well and even add some to the screw to ensure a good sploodge pushes out showing good coverage in the hole. I roughen the tile and bracket with a dremel to give the epoxy something to bite on too.
Unread 07-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #52
Gozo

I’ve done exactly as John described, with the exact same steps and the exact same materials. Uncannily duplicative. Except my curb top material was countertop quartzite type material. Did the same with the tile on the walls too. Been about two years and still solid. I love that Latapoxy; use it for so many epoxy things around the house.
Unread 07-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #53
makethatkerdistick

Jeff's Latapoxy is still keeping my curb bracket in place.
Another vote for epoxy resin over silicone.
Unread 07-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #54
Mdcdvm

OK, stupid question. Since this is anchoring into tile or granite, I assume my drill bit diameter is same size as my threads on my screw or slightly larger? It's the epoxy that is holding the screw in the hole?
Unread 07-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #55
Gozo

No stupid questions here (well maybe a few, but yours ain’t one of them).
Go a tad wider than the screw threads so you’ll have a scootch of wiggle room. The key is not so deep as to hit the waterproofing. The epoxy holds everything together and keeps the screw/peg in place to prevent lateral movement.
See the last picture in my build thread post.
https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...&postcount=125
You can see a bit of the epoxy oozing around the screws, more so the one on the left.
Unread 07-22-2019, 09:20 PM   #56
Mdcdvm

Got it, thanks to you all for the tremendous advice! One more question, does anyone think there is a benefit to sealing permacolor select grout. I understand the manufacturer says no sealing needed as it's maufactured in, but the spec sheet also states "if grout is to be sealed..."

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase