Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Dingus

toilet flange problem

Hi

I Just tiled a small bathroom floor in an old house.
I am planning to install my toilet flange on top of the tile.
However, when I installed the ABS flange only one side sits nice and flush with the tile. The other side sits about 1/4 inch above the tile. I was thinking of cutting copper pipe and using as shims on the side that is not making content with the tile floor
I have not screwed it in place yet and would run the screws through the copper pipe.
Any advice?
Thanks in advance.
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Sounds like the tile is pretty uneven which will affect how the toilet lands on the floor as well. Toilet doesn't have to be dead level, but close is good.

If you can get three of the four screws in without shims, you could use stainless steel or plastic washers rather than copper pipe...more bearing surface with the washers. Flange must be stable and not distorted.

When you set toilet use shims to prevent it from rocking around. Any movement will break wax seal. To eliminate what I consider to be the weak link in toilet installation, I like these:

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/wax-free-toilet-seal

If you're reusing old toilet, you must spotlessly clean the area around the horn where the Fernco glues on. I go so far as to wipe the are with denatured alcohol even on new toilets.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

You can also use a Sani-Seal gasket instead of a wax ring. Shim the toilet with plastic wedges and caulk the base leaving a gap at the back of the toilet in case of a leak

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Sounds like your riser pipe is not plumb! Is the abs flange all plastic? Plumber's much prefer those with a SS ring, rather than the all plastic ones, as they are stronger. Which would you rather have holding the toilet to the floor, a bolt in a weak plastic notch or in some SS metal? Compound that by not anchoring the flange well, and you're at risk.

Now, how best to fix it depends on what access you have. On some toilets, a flange sitting 1/4" up in the air would prevent the toilet from properly sealing - first, the all plastic flanges are typically thicker than those with the SS metal rings, and then some newer toilets don't have that deep of a well for the wax in the first place.

First, I'd verify that the toilet can be set in place without the wax and not rock on the flange (ie. the flange does not hold it up in the air). If it can set flat, then you have some choices: fix the flange so it can sit flat, or hope for the best.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase