Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-24-2019, 12:26 PM   #16
NathanInSTL

I was turned onto the Noble drain for my remodel and it was very easy to work with. As an amateur, I highly suggest getting the foam tool the creates your drain divot for you. I can't imagine the pain of trying to shape the necessary hole for the drain flashing without it.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:28 PM   #17
DavidKas

Thanks, Nathan. I will definitely do that. Did you find the membrane easy to work with?
Old 06-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #18
NathanInSTL

Work in small'ish sections. I tried to do a 7.5' x 3.5' section in one fell swoop and I really struggled getting the thinset on the wall timely. That's really the only other thing I would do different. Everything else seems to have gone smoothly. Probably common sense but do a dry fit and pre-cut all your pieces.

I probably had the thinset on the wall a little longer than recommended since I was trying to cover a larger area but everything still feels tight after a few weeks. My first batch of thinset was a little on the thicker side but the second batch was easier to work with when I mixed it slightly runnier.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #19
DavidKas

Thanks, that makes sense. I'll probably go with Durock membrane because I can get it cheaper.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:08 PM   #20
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Hi David,

I kind of breezed through this but I would embed the cement board into the mudbed. So install cement board first then mud up to it.

For the window sill, I don't think it matters. You'll have the durock pieces to install and as long as you wrap the membrane in then you'll be fine.

I always install the horizontal cement board in thinset mortar. For the window sill, I will put mortar on the wood sill, embed 1/8 inch spacers in the back along the length of the window, spread more mortar on the back half (underside) of the cement board, the install the cement board on top of the mortar and spacers.

Essentially, the spacers are giving you the slope that you need and the mortar takes out any voids. May not be by-the-book but that's how I do it.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:05 AM   #21
DavidKas

Thanks TileGuy. I read this on your very thorough and informative website. And much else as well. This is exactly what I am going to do.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:41 AM   #22
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Thanks! I'm glad you found it helpful.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #23
DavidKas

I'm at the point where the Durock cbu goes up. I re-insulated the walls after adding additional framing, leaving the paper off, which seems to me common sense. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

What I'm really wondering about though, are the seams between the panels. I'm covering them with Durock membrane. Do I put mesh and thinset over the seams before attaching the membrane or do I leave them as is? My guess is I leave the seams alone but I do want to be sure. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #24
cx
Da Home Builder

You want to leave all those seams bare, David. The Durock Shower System membrane, properly installed with thinset mortar, will serve the filling and taping part of the installation much better than the mesh tape.

And you'll find the inside corners much easier to cover with the seams open.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase