Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #1
Pool2019

Silicone sealer for waterline tile on saltwater pool

Hello, we are wondering if anyone knows if GE2+ silicone is acceptable for use between the waterline stone and the concrete coping on a salt water pool. The pool builder put this on our pool and no where on the tube does it say it is for this purpose. Has anyone had experience with using silicone if so, what type is best for this application and is there any way in the world to get this other silicone off and getting something else to stick to the surfaces again without removing the stone and the coping?
Thank you for any suggestions or input you may have!
Old 07-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Grace.

More than one kind of GE Silicone 2+. You know which was used?

If you're in serious doubt, you might wanna contact GE. I've never tried that and have no idea what sort of technical services they provide, but I'd give it a try.

I can't see that your application would be any different from and exterior window/door sealing application. Wet sometimes, in the sun sometimes, hot sometimes, cold sometimes.

Have you experienced a particular problem with the sealant? It's purpose in your application is simply to fill the movement accommodation joint between the tile and the coping. Functionally a 100 percent silicone should meet the technical requirements there if properly applied.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
CaliGrown

That’s what we use for all of our retiles, between the waterline and concrete cantilever joint. My father in law has been in the pool business since the early 90’s and that’s the way they’ve always done it.
Is there something wrong with the joint?
Old 07-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #4
Killer95Stang

Reading on a different board, I think she wasn't happy with the match of the silicone to coping / stone after her pb finished the pool. After a few Google searches she found out how hard it would be to remove and reseal that joint. Faced with having to battle the pb to fix his error, she wants to arm herself with enough info to win the war. But once you Google, you start diving down that rabbit hole.

Personally, when we had our pool built a few years back, our pb used sanded grout to fill that joint, which of course has cracked in a few spots over the last 5 years. When I finally get tired of looking at those barely noticeable grout cracks, I'll fill that joint with 100% silicone color matched caulk.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
CaliGrown

Thanks for updating us. Grout holds up fine with tile to coping stones when there’s an expansion joint in the decks at the bond beam line. With cantilever concrete you need that expansion joint at the tile to cap line, so the decks don’t shift the tile off.
If she’s ambitious to change out the silicone, she needs to drain down the water a few inches below the tile. Take an angle grinder with a diamond blade from the topside and cut the silicone being careful not to scuff the tile, coping, or drop the grinder/power into the water. Then tape off the tile line and silicone with her color choice. Clean up the pool and enjoy the small $40 in material change.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase