Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-01-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
Rmcrae2

Durock/Cement Board Behind Shower Pan

Thanks in advance for the responses. Is there any issue with installing durock behind an acrylic shower pan. Most of the info I have seen states installing in front of the shower pan. In my scenario I have a RO of 61” and am planning to install at 60” shower pan. Obviously I would really like to install the durock behind the pan so I don’t have to deal with furring my wall out.
Unread 12-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome, Ryan. We've moved your post to the main forum since it is more of a general question and will be more visible here.

The short answer is yes, but with a but. The but being, how do you intend to do your water proofing? You would need to water proof where the Durock to shower pan meet. You might be able to use something like Durock's water proof membrane, affixed to the Durock with thinset mortar, and to the pan's flange with Durock's adhesive. But you'll also have to decide on if you're going to water proof the Durock itself, as it isn't water proof.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
Rmcrae2

I assuming you are saying I could use a membrane sealed to the back of the durock to the face of the shower pan for this waterproofing? I had not planned on waterproofing the durock on a global scale, is that necessary? Thanks for your feedback.
Unread 12-01-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Durock needs to be waterproofed at least to the shower head height (or 6 feet above the shower pan in my fair state)

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
Rmcrae2

Thanks Paul. That being said, if there is waterproofing installed behind the durock to the face of the shower pan is there an issue with durock being installed behind the shower pan and not being directly attached to the studs
Unread 12-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
ss3964spd

The only water proofing you'd install behind the Durock is either plastic sheeting or tar paper. But if your Durock is behind the lip of the shower pan you'd have no way to allow either of those to drape over the top of the pan lip to be sealed to the pan.

Not sure I quite understand what you mean by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
is there an issue with durock being installed behind the shower pan and not being directly attached to the studs
If the Durock will be installed before the pan, why wouldn't you be able to attach it to the studs? Perhaps you mean attaching the pan directly to the studs? If so, I don't see any reason why you can't drill through the pan's flange and Durock and run some screws in.

I don't see how you'll be able to avoid using surface applied water proofing if you want to hang the Durock behind the pan's flange.
Unread 12-01-2019, 02:38 PM   #7
Rmcrae2

That’s exactly what I mean, my intention is to have the durock installed before the shower pan goes down and then attach to the pan to the studs through the durock. Everything I’ve seen shows attaching the pan directly to the studs and stopping the durock above the pan, NOT going behind the pan as I intend. Sorry if I’m not being clear enough or if this is splitting hairs.
Unread 12-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Ryan.

The reason you've seen the CBU stopped above the pre-made shower receptor or bathtub is to allow the face of the CBU to be flush with, or proud of, the tiling flange on the receptor to accommodate waterproofing. I suppose you could still use a direct bonded waterproofing membrane in your proposed application, but how would you tile the surface with the tiling flange extending well proud of the wallboard?

If your wall framing won't accommodate your having your wallboard face flush with or inside the receptor's tiling flange, you need to move or fur out the framing to make it so. Having the CBU fit inside the receptor flange would be my preferred location, but stopping just above the flange would be OK if you handle your waterproofing properly.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #9
ss3964spd

I've got a handle on what you wanna do, but afraid it won't work with water proofing behind the Durock.

Question: How thick is the flange of the shower pan? Gotta photo of it?

*EDIT*: cx got there before I did. If the flange is too thick the tile won't be flat on the wall board.

Last edited by ss3964spd; 12-01-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Unread 12-01-2019, 03:08 PM   #10
Rmcrae2

Im tracking what you are saying about if the Flange is too thick the tile won’t sit flush. I don’t have a picture since I haven’t purchased the pan yet, I’m just thinking ahead. I found this picture showing what I was thinking.Name:  2F6C32AE-2D1F-4670-9BD5-4DD214393234.png
Views: 135
Size:  629.2 KB
Unread 12-01-2019, 03:25 PM   #11
ss3964spd

It might work if the thickness of the thinset mortar used to set the wall tiles exceeded the thickness of the flange, and if the flange was hard against the wall board (in that pic you can see that it isn't against the back wall). And you'd still need a surface applied water proofing system.

I'd guess any decent premade shower pan will have a thicker flange. The one for my basement shower did.
Unread 12-01-2019, 03:28 PM   #12
Rmcrae2

Thanks dan
Unread 01-12-2020, 07:10 AM   #13
Rmcrae2

Schluter Shower Niche with Durock Walls

I have a shower with durock walls and 2 schluter wall niches. A few questions here:

1. Any issue with joining these two different materials?
2. Can I tape and mortar these joints just as I would with a durock to durock joint?
3. Can I apply redgard or usg’s liquid membrane to the shower niche as well?

Thanks for the advice/knowledge
Unread 01-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

Ryan, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

Looks like you've already installed at least one of those niches, but I can't see how you've treated the edges. I believe Schluter would have you cover those joints with their Kerdi or KerdiBand and that's what I'd recommend you do. While it might work to use mesh tape and thinset mortar with a liquid-applied membrane over it, I'd still favor the sheet-type membrane. You do not need to waterproof inside the niche at all.

How did you finally decide to treat the waterproofing at the wallboard/receptor junction?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #15
Rmcrae2

Sorry, that picture was not from my project just an example of what I was trying to communicate. I ended up furring everything to be flush as it should be. I will be will installing plastic sheeting behind the durock and planning to use a liquid membrane to the front of the durock. Main concern was that joining the different products wouldn’t cause a problem and the best way to join them.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase