Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #91
cx
Moderator emeritus

As with your grout, you want the joint clear for at least 2/3rds the depth of the tile where you're gonna apply your flexible sealant, SusanMary.

You should be able to clean out those joints while cleaning your grout during the grouting process. If not, just wait an hour or more and then clean out the joints mechanically with a putty knife or screwdriver or similar tool. A vacuum cleaner can be very helpful on horizontal surfaces.

This is the optimal result of a properly applied flexible sealant:

Name:  Caulking Bead.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  33.3 KB

You'll not likely achieve the optimum and you'll not be using backer rod in your tile joints, but keep in mind what you really want the sealant to do while you're installing.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2020, 10:47 PM   #92
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smred
...One expert has suggested leaving some grout in the seams you're going to caulk, but caulking over it.
The drawing CX provided shows an optimal caulk joint that can deform/stretch easily over its entire profile. That’s important that the whole bead absorbs the movement. But imagine that the soft backer was hard grout and it cracked open. Because the grout is rigid, the caulk that’s bonded to it would be severely stressed in that tiny area above the crack instead of dispersed over the entire bead...like CX’s drawing shows. It would promote failure of the caulk bead.

That ‘expert’ that suggests caulking over grout doesn’t understand why it’s a bad idea.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2020, 11:50 AM   #93
smred

Okay,

Makes total sense. Seems like cleaning out the seams is the way to go. Seems a bit daunting, but I have another shower that someone else put in with cracked grout which I suppose I'll need to fix after I'm done with my project and that seems like even more of a PITA so, better to do it right the first time!!! (Which is why I started this whole dang project to begin with!)

Hopefully the next post will be photo's of the finished product!
Unread 01-22-2020, 08:32 PM   #94
smred

So I sealed the grout and pebbles, let it dry and then poured some water in the pan. I was worried about water pooling in the outer corners, but all's good there. The problem is that water is pooling just next to the drain. I must have screwed up the slope when setting the pebbles as I didn't get pooling beforehand.

Can I fix by chipping out the grout in that area, taking up the pebbles and the thinset and re-do that area? It's gonna drive me nuts if I leave it the way it is.

Arghhhhh.
Attached Images

Unread 01-23-2020, 06:06 PM   #95
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, looks like the drain needs to go down lower. Once you bust out an area about 12 inches in diameter (or whatever's needed) use a straight edge about 14-16 inches long to make sure the same pitch continues from the existing pebbles to the drain. Some mud will have to be removed too to allow the drain to screw down. Be careful not to damage the pan liner or you'll be opening a big can of worms.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase