Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-13-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
lin.boot

Kerdi - Order of installation?

Hello everyone. We (hubs and I, mostly hubs) are working on a shower remodel. I bought the Kerdi ebook several years ago and we're just now getting to the remodel.

Does the order of installation of the waterproofing matter with Kerdi? We have the Kerdi Board walls up and I was hoping to apply the Kerdi Band to the corners and fasteners before we put the tray in.

I've seen in the Kerdi video that the tray is installed, attached to wall with band, lower corners put in, and then the vertical corner band.

I just wasn't sure if the order mattered.

Thanks!
Lin
Unread 01-13-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Lindsey.

The order of installation does not matter so long as you provide the required membrane overlaps and install them properly.

When building direct bonded waterproofing membrane (Kerdi, etc.) showers, I never even install the drain until the ceiling and walls are installed, tiled except for the bottom row, and frequently grouted. One of the major benefits of that type shower construction to my thinking.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2020, 06:26 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Common wisdom would be it should be applied like roofing shingles, but in reality, it doesn't matter at all, as was said, if you get the required overlap and have good workmanship.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2020, 06:51 AM   #4
lin.boot

Thanks! I appreciate the quick feedback!
Unread 01-14-2020, 08:38 AM   #5
Kman

The order doesn't matter, but I always start at the bottom and work my way up. That way, in the unlikely event that a seam fails, water would have to run uphill a couple of inches to cause damage.

But that's just me.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase