Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
rikester13

Mike's Bathroom Remodel

Hello all, new poster here (Mike) and had a few questions. I just bought a house and will be moving in at the end of the month, in the meantime I am trying to research as much as possible to prepare for the much needed improvements in the master bathroom. I have a tub insert and recently saw a picture of a bathroom similar in size and shape to mine. In the picture the front apron of the tub had been tiled and it looked very nice, and made me wonder how to do it. Is it best to frame a small wall with 2x4 in front of the tub, then apply backerboard and tile over it, or is there a different way of going about this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 10-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
bbcamp

Mike, tiling on the cast iron or fiberglass tub apron isn't a good idea, since both materials move (expand) differently than tile, so they won't stick for long. Building a wall in front of the tub leaves you with a joint between wall and tub that won't be easy to seal, and gives you a wide step-over for entering and exiting the tub. A better solution involves a new tub designed to have a site-made apron.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
Mountain Tile
Pashley Tile

I did a couple tubs that were open on the one side with a lip that will sit on the wall. look at some different tubs, maybe check a couple plumbing supply stores.

wwwpashleytile.com
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
custombuilt
Tile and remodeling contractor

like chuck said, those type of tubs are designed for that. Do you have a picture of the tub insert you have?

Superior Construction
Custom Interior and Exterior remodeling experts
Quincy, IL
custombuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
rikester13

Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses. I dont currently have a picture of the tub that is in place as I havent actually moved in yet. I figured that tiling against the tub itself would be a horrible idea and that is why I thought perhaps building a small wall in front might work, however a good point was made that it would be a lengthy step to enter or exit the tub. I am going to check out the option of getting a tub with an open side designed for such a purpose. Thanks again guys and if there is any other input out there please keep it comin.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase