Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
met152

Mike's Bathroom Remodel

To start off, this site has been an invaluable resource to me while I've been working on my DIY bathroom remodel. This is my first post, but I've been reading the forum for a few months.

Here's a quick rundown of the entire project.
Complete gut of a 1950's bathroom with beautiful pastel yellow wall tiles and matching green cast iron tub and sink. Carpet over yellow mosaic tiles . 1 1/2" mortar bed under tiles removed along with 1/2" thick original underlayment.
Installed new 3/4 T&G plywood (dryply) screwed and glued to 16" OC joists, then 1/2" plywood ring-shank nailed to 3/4". Decided on a 32"x60" Kohler whirlpool tub to replace 30"x60" cast iron, so we needed to rip the existing 2x4s (not a supporting wall, and extra support was added) behind tub to make room for the wider tub.
Mortar bed under the tub, plastic moisture barrier in tub area then 1/2" Hardibacker.
Added a Suntouch heated mat stapled to the plywood, embedded in Versabond then Ditra on top.

So last night, I installed the floor tile. 12.5x12.5 Azuvi porcelain (~45sqft) using Laticrete MegaBond. Finally to my actual question. Is is possible to grout (SpectraLOCK) earlier than 24 hours?

We're under a tight deadline right now. The first tile was laid around 6pm and the last around 3am . Did I just admit to taking 9 hours to lay 45ft^2? To my defense, a lot of stuff was done while tiling (wiring, drywall patching, dinner, beer break, more wiring).

Ideally, I would like to begin grouting late this evening, so that we can bring in the vanity, toilet and linen cabinet tomorrow evening. Any major issues with this?

Sorry for the long first post.

Thanks!

Mike
(and yes, I'll edit my signature to include my name if I haven't already )
Oh, and I have probably 150 pictures of the entire process if anyone is interested.
Unread 10-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Possible ? yes. But I wouldn't recommend it. Ditra and Porcelain will not absorb any moisture so I would give the Megabond some time to dry before I grouted. I assume you used an additive for the porcelain?

In fact, I would stay off that tile all together for a few days

Jason
Unread 10-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
met152

No additive

I did not use any sort of additive. All of the advice on here and from Schluter says to not use the additive which would make the unmodified Megabond a modified thinset. Schluter says unmodified between Ditra and tile.
Unread 10-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Yeah Mike the Schluter info gets a bit confusing. The additive is recommended for porcelain but Schluter doesn't like the mixture of latex and Ditra.

If there was no additive the drying time on the mortar is not that much of an issue - the bond to the porcelain may be.

I've tried to ride the fence with porcelain and Ditra and use Versabond. It is "slightly" modified compared to some of the specialty mortars.

In the end, I think you could go ahead and grout since you used unmodified thinset

Jason
Unread 01-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
met152

Mike's bathroom remodel

I thought I'd post some pictures from my recently completed bathroom remodel. Our house was build in the 50's and I would venture to guess the bathroom was mostly original. As the photos show, yellow tiled walls with a green bathtub and sink. It was in good condition, but horribly outdated. The carpeted bathroom floor didn't help much either .

Everything was gutted and replaced except for the ceiling (didn't want to deal with the attic insulation). The toilet was moved about 1.5' so all of the plumbing for that was re-done, a dual vanity was added. A wider 32" jetted Kohler tub was installed (replaced a 30"). Sun touch heated floor with programmable thermostat. Added humidity sensing exhaust fan, where there was nothing before. Added a linen closet because there wasn't a closet previously.

My wife and I did all of the work with minimal help from a couple family members. This was my first time doing plumbing, tiling, or drywall (but not electrical, EE degree). We are extremely happy with the results.

Total cost was around $6500.

Please feel free to comment on anything, especially things you would have done differently or feel we did incorrectly. I like to know so I can improve next time.

There are too many pictures to post here, so here is a link to the photos:
picasaweb.google.com/Tatkome/MainBathroomRemodel
Unread 01-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
dsoniat

Mike, looks great. I'm just another DIY'er still in the middle of my bathroom re-do.

I like the colors and tile, etc. you all chose.

What grout did you use?
Unread 01-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
bbcamp

Mike, I've combined your previous thread.

Please post a few of your pictures, before and after. If you link to them and later take them down, we lose them too. If you post them, they stay in our database forever. And that's a long time.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
met152

dsoniat,
I used Spectralock grout from Lowes. The color is Antique White.

pictures to come shortly...
Unread 01-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
met152

Before, During and After photos

Here are photos, to remain here for eternity.
Attached Images

Unread 01-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
met152

More photos.
Attached Images

Unread 01-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
met152

...more...
Attached Images

Unread 01-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #12
met152

1char
Attached Images

Unread 01-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
met152

almost there..
Attached Images

Unread 01-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #14
met152

I have plenty more pictures. If you want to see something specific, just let me know.
Attached Images

Unread 01-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #15
Tom novice

Nice work, Looks Great!

Like the way the grout lines in the recess match up with wall

I guess I need to get cracking I'm only at the CBU installed stage....Plan to be tiling this weekend.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase