Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
pvrc24

Waterproofing my shower walls before tiling

I am tearing out my bath & shower combo and replacing it with a shower only. I would like to know if I use a fiberglass board would I have to use a sheet membrane also? Or, would using just the cement backerboard, and tile be enough? I was planning on using the cement backerboard then the Schluter System wall membrane, but some tilers at the home depot store told me not to do that, I want to make sure I don't have any water leaks in the future. Also where in Houston, Texas can I find fiberglass board?

Regards,
Lola
Unread 09-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Lola,

if you are ripping out your walls and shower floor and redoing you can use Kerdi on the wall and floor. you can use drywall on the shower walls and do a mudbed on the shower floor.

using drywall behind the Schluter Kerdi is acceptable since when done right it will never see water.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase