Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-28-2005, 08:48 PM   #1
oma

Looking for "handmade" tiles

I *finally* saw some tiles on a backsplash that I like, and I can't find a source for similar tiles. These tiles were green with subtle color variations throughout the entire backsplash. They were 4 inch, and had a handmade look. The color is light to medium green and they were pretty plain, but had a really classy look. Where would I look for handmade or handmade-looking tiles? Maybe Mexican or Italian tiles? Anyone have any suggestions? I've been looking for months, and everything I see is so natural stone looking and neutral. Thanks for any help, Oma.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-28-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Oma. Where did you see it at? Can you get a picher of it?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
oma

Well, to be quite honest, I was channel surfing and saw this tile backsplash on a cooking show, and don't know the name of the program or the chef. I am going to try and visit the food network's website and see if I can narrow it down. Maybe I can happen upon whose kitchen those green tiles were in, and maybe track down some information that way. I guess it's worth a try. Honestly, that was the first tiles I have seen in all my looking and searching that I really liked (that the old man also liked, lol). I figure if we both found something we can live with, I'll make a concerted effort to try and match it.
If I have any luck, I'll provide a link to a photo.
Thanks, Oma
Unread 05-28-2005, 10:23 PM   #4
Steve in PA
Tile Contractor/ Installer

here you go...
hand mold tile
Unread 05-29-2005, 05:53 AM   #5
justin savage

Look on anne sacks tile web site and www.eprotile.com justin savage
justin savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2005, 08:50 AM   #6
oma

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at both sites, and neither has the type I am talking about. I did find out the food network show that has the backsplash. It's the 30 minute meal with host Rachael Ray, but can't find a photo to link to or post. I'll keep trying.
Oma
Unread 05-29-2005, 09:38 AM   #7
Steve in PA
Tile Contractor/ Installer

Talking

here you go...

Unread 05-29-2005, 11:51 AM   #8
oma

Wow, thanks. Maybe it's just my computer monitor, but the tiles look kind of gray on my screen. Anyway, the food network has a page where you can find out the specifics of their hosts' kitchens. These tiles are from Elon Tile in Mount Kisco, NY. Guess that means I can't buy them here in Texas. Are any of you familiar with Elon, or do you do business with them? I wonder if they do mail order business?
Oma
Unread 05-30-2005, 05:34 AM   #9
justin savage

there web site is www.elontile.com check the site for distributor list or call them. justin
justin savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2005, 08:15 PM   #10
oma

Thanks. I'm planning to call them tomorrow (figured they were closed for the holiday today). Maybe they do mail order business, and otoh, they may be so far out of my price range that all this energy to find out what kind of tiles they are is wasted
Oma
Unread 05-30-2005, 09:37 PM   #11
jorma

It is the talavera

It may have been mexican talavera tiles. There are plenty sellers on the web as well as on ebay. i just got mine from www.tierrayfuego.com. They are handmade, varied in sizes. Typicaly they are 4x4, but are available in 6x6 and sometimes odd sizes - variations of up to 1/4" exists between tiles.
When you buy them often one batch will differ from another - if you actually want them to vary more, you may want to order smaller amounts of the same color from different suppliers - that will increase the chances of slight color variations. Setting talavera is both difficult and easy. Difficult in that they are often little bowed so you need to batter the back of each tile for better adhesion. Easier, in that size variations are natural with the tile so you don't need to mess with spacers and worry about accurate grout lines. It will still turn out great.
jorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2005, 04:15 PM   #12
Veda

Oma: You still seem to be searching for tile. Try these: sonomatilemakers.com, meredith tiles, annsacks.com None of these are cheap, to say the least, but my experience with sonoma is just wonderful--the glazes just catch the light and shimmer. . I know the others are equally beautiful. Also, go on to the gardenweb kitchens forum and do a search. Endless amounts of decorating information.
Veda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2005, 10:12 PM   #13
oma

Veda, I've been a gardenweb member for about four years now and frequent the home building and kitchen forums. I have tried AnnSacks and the Sonoma tilemaker sites, but neither has what I am looking for. I found Pratt and Larson on the web, and they seem to have a large variety of colors, and I think I have found a distributor in the Dallas area. I also found a website (I think it is stonesource or something like that, and they have a nice variety of colors in glazed ceramic tiles. I really don't need a large variety, it just seems that the colors I want are not readily available. I guess I'm not keeping up with current trends in color
Oma
Unread 06-05-2005, 07:57 AM   #14
tilemaker

handmade tile

Oma, I make tile at our shop in Kentucky for a few people throughout the year. maybe I can help you out. I dont have alot of samples on my site. but can send you a tile sample if you like. I need to know the color and size you are lookin for. I mainly make 4x4 tile, but can cut smaller if you like. larger tiles seem to always warp up real bad so I stay with small ones. I can make out of low fire clay ,ceramic or high fire clay like stoneware pottery. they are very durable and most of the glazes are stronger than commercial tile. I can cut custom shapes and sizes to fit you area if have exact specs. My tiles are truly handmade and size will vary some so will color for batch to batch. turn around time is around 3-4 weeks . price is different for every project. let me know what you think.

www.osbornedesigns.net
tilemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2005, 12:21 PM   #15
oma

TIlemaker, I'd LOVE to see some samples. Do you have them on your website? What I'm looking for is primarily green 4x4's, but also need some accents of a rusty color and a cream or off white. If you ever watch the food network, try to catch The 30 minute meal, host Rachael Ray. The green backsplash in her kitchen is almost exactly what I want. I need some color variations in the greens, and would maybe like some in the rusty red or orange hues. I don't necessarily need a rustic rough look, but want the color variation. Almost everything I have found on the net is so perfect looking that it won't achieve the effect I want. Thanks.
Oma

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase