Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 04-14-2021, 06:53 PM   #16
smifwal

Wet,delaminating and very squishy ,I think I am replacing 4 sheets but I haven't taken up their patches yet so may be more
Attached Images

Unread 04-16-2021, 08:52 AM   #17
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Oh man, Shawn, you've got your hands full.

Not sure I'd ever buy a flip. I'd guess some are done well but the majority just are not. A house across the street was recently flipped and I walked through it when they had the open house. Looked pretty at a high level but sooo many crappy things when looking closely,, some big, some little. An floor HVAC vent right in the middle of the entry foyer. Right in the middle. They replaced switch plates with new but left the old dingy, grungy switches. LVP in the kitchen that was bouncy. On and on. Still, it was on the market for only a week.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2021, 06:01 PM   #18
smifwal

If I remember right tiger mountain tile has a blog on reasons why you shouldn't by a flip, though I haven't read it I am sure I know what is in there, I was hoping he would stop by on this thread he could use some of my pictures.

I know a couple of guys here in town that make their money flipping houses, they cat almost every corner they can, to them it is a bottom Dollar and time game. They do nice finishes but they make no attempt to do things right.

As for this house, they did a lot of things almost right but they just couldn't seem to go all the way. Based on their lack of attention to detail I knew there would be some funny business under the surface. But some of what I found today is borderline criminal. They either sheeted rocked or mudded over mold and put patches of plywood over wet and delaminating plywood.

I bought this well under the market value so I got plenty of wiggle room to do things right. I bought this for a $100k under what they originally listed it for. And since there are 2 residences I can live in apartment while I work on the main house and then move in to it and go back to work fixing the apartment. The apartment is where the moldand funny flooring and more mold. I think they ran out of time,money or give a damn by the time they got to the apartment.
Attached Images

Last edited by smifwal; 04-16-2021 at 06:08 PM.
smifwal is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase