Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-10-2021, 07:53 AM   #166
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Adding a second layer of ply is about the only way to make up for the between joist deflection deficiencies of the first layer.

In your case, though, 1/2" ply will do the trick when properly installed. You want that 1/2 ply to have a face grade no lower than C, and be laminated with moisture resistant glue, typically referred to Exposure 1 or EXP 1. 1/2" B/C EXP1 ply is pretty common at the BBS's.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #167
markch

Then Lots of screws + construction adhesive between layers?
Unread 03-10-2021, 09:26 AM   #168
cx
Moderator emeritus

Here is a good article from our Liberry showing what I consider the best way to install that second layer of plywood, Mark.

And no, Dan is not suggesting you glue the second layer to the first, he's pointing out the requirement that the second layer be an exterior glue type plywood. Use the mechanical fastener schedule shown in the article above. If you want to glue, do not use a construction adhesive from a tube. You would need a full spread of wood glue for that purpose and then only if the surface of your first layer of subfloor is plywood and in near pristine condition. Best to forego the glue all together, 'specially if you're starting with OSB as I suspect.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2021, 01:41 PM   #169
markch

VERY informative article -- "The idea presented herein is to have two layers of sheathing at those points where the bending stresses are greatest—over the joists."

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase