Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-02-2020, 09:49 PM   #1
Jacob Smithg

Waterproofing and Tiling a Drop-in Tub that in a shower.

I'm in what I see to be a unique situation. The homeowner is wanting a drop-in whirlpool tub inside of a shower stall, with half of the stall being tub and the other half shower. The width of the stall is not much more than the tub itself, leaving almost no room on the two short sides of the tub for waterproofing, much less tile. The tub's installation guide mentions decking over the side of the tub by a small amount with tile. Is that possible? If so how could that be waterproofed. my thought is to build the surround level with the tub and then mortar any gaps and then redguard over that overlapping onto the tub itself to bond not just to the mortar. The tub had already been set in place and siliconed around the perimeter to the concrete board already in place.
Attached Images

Unread 11-03-2020, 06:09 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Just to make sure, you're saying the tub is sitting beside the shower and no water spray from the shower will hit the tub deck?

If spray from the shower will hit the tub deck, I'd want to add a tub flange to the tub using epoxy to bond it with. I've heard about this type of flange but have never done it.

You'll have to be careful, this has a chance of being a bad situation.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase