Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-12-2004, 09:14 PM   #1
Mateo

Repairing plaster wall

Hi, I'm new to this board, hope this is not out of the realm/scope of topics. I recently purchased a home that was built in 1936 in CA. I pulled down some hideous wood panelling to find dammaged plaster and a dammaged fireplace surrounds. The plaster is laid down on wooden lathe. There are many cracks, some thin spots with nothing but exposed lathe, two boarded up windows, and a rectangular empty space above where the mantel would be that measures aprox 6" in heighth and three feet in length. In this area there is no lathing, just the edge of a horizontal two by four running the length of the missing rectrangle. Also, the surrounds for the fireplace is made of bricks covered with plaster. Several bricks at the top are loose. Where do I start? I would like to do the work myself if possible, but I am totally new to plastering.

Thanks in advance and cheers

Mateo
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-13-2004, 04:46 AM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Sounds like somebody stole your mantle,there should be something gorgeous in that hole on top the fireplace,pick out something to put in there after you go fix these things. Plastering well takes experience, but generally you have to remove seriously loose parts,scrape some cracks to make them large enough to put repair into, and know the difference between repairable and tearing out parts,or you could tear out a small lathe wall and redo it with drywall unless this is an historic house then i would hire a pro to refinish it,the bricks just need to be taken out the mortar chipped away and buy some mortar mix from HD and wet them and reset them and plaster over.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2004, 06:59 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Mateo.

It happens we have a member in our area who spends a lot of time restoring old houses. Goes by Scooter. If he doesn't show up here, find his name anywhere and click on it. That will enable you to contact him directly.

I think you need to find a good masonry supply. The folks there can set you up with the products you need to patch the plaster. You may need to incorporate expanded metal lath. I'm thinking wood lath is probably pretty hard to find nowadays.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase