Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 07-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
916tile
TileCoach

New to the Boards

Hi All. Been in the office the last few days and have been posting like crazy. Thought I should introduce myself.
I've been in the trade since 1999, started out as a helper for an old-school-union-mud -guy. Learned a lot about our trade in the few years I worked for him. Also learned a lot about what not to do as far as the business end. Did not want to do tile for a living...but college sucked for me. Long story short, family member needed a tub back tiled and I said I would do it. Her best friend worked at a tile shop. The rest is history.
I fell in love with tile once I was on my own and could control the outcome of the jobs. I enjoyed the responsibility of the finished product...and of course I had to tear some things out and wouldn't be surprised if I got a call back from an old customer for something I did wrong way back when. Nice thing is...I would have the resources to fix it, if need be! That's a good feeling.
I rode the highs and the lows of the last decade. At one point in '05 I had four crews. At one in point in 2010, I had me. Probably similar to a lot of pro's out there that weathered the storm.
I always had a dream of a one stop tile shop...where customers could come in a buy tile if they wanted, and get install services too. Kind of like how other flooring shops do. I never saw other tile shops do it and I wondered why. Now I know why
Dec. of 2012, I took out a lease on a 1500 sf retail space and a 1600 sf warehouse space down the road. Vacancy was like 50% in the center at that time...so I negotiated a pretty good 3 year deal. Used credit cards to finance everything. Banks were super tight still. Emser hooked me up with all kinds of display tile. Other vendors chipped in when they saw what had going on. Worked day and night for three months to get the showroom done. Cabinets, and stone work were thrown in by friends. The Plumbing supply store next to me donated as well.
We just negotiated a 5 year lease extension, which includes taking over 1300 sf behind me that I can use as warehouse will call space and get a forklift over here. I plan to use my current off site warehouse as storage and to run the install side out of there.
I have always liked custom residential so that's our niche. This week, I'm running three crews but typically I like two because I can pay more attention to the jobs, and still deal with the retail and design side in the showroom. My wife works about 20 hours a week in here and usually books enough work to keep us busy. Marisa is really good with customers, and I think the general public trusts women more than men. Or at least if they've met her, they tend to have more trust in me. We sell about two or three retail only jobs a week, along with silestone and caesarstone quartz countertops that I sub out. Those sales pretty much pay for Marisa's time, and keep the lights on.
I was worried about not getting business from other tile contractors on the retail side. But for a shop my size the profits from the install side outweigh what I would make selling tile and thinset to tile contractors. The margin selling to contractors is low anyways. I would much rather sell to homeowners, DIY's, or general contractors because then my knowledge comes into play and I can help guide them through their project. I've done well selling Schluter, as we are an authorized dealer. I stock the most common parts of the shower systems, Ditra, and about 15 different profiles.
As we expand into the back area, I plan on becoming a stocking dealer and hopefully break away from the install side at some point and become a "real" tile shop.
Until then, I love talking tile so I will try to post on here as much as I can about what I do and don't know about our industry. I try to stay humble (easier said than done) and learn as much as I can from other people. That has been a recipe for success so far for me. Hopefully, it continues.
If you would like to see some of my you tube videos, check out https://www.youtube.com/user/916tile?feature=mhee
or facebook at www.facebook.com/916tile
or website www.916tile.com
916tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

Welcome! Good to have another Isaac around here👍

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2015, 11:38 PM   #3
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Hi Isaac, welcome aboard.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2015, 12:45 AM   #4
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Welcome!
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2015, 07:26 AM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome aboard, Isaac.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2015, 07:28 AM   #6
Richard Tunison
Retired Tile Contractor

Howdy Isaac!
Unread 07-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #7
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
Hi Isaac, welcome.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
916tile
TileCoach

Thanks Guys.
916tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #9
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

You have some nice stuff going on on your links. Welcome aboard the Friendliest Site on the Web!

(Oh, and your price on the DeWalt rocks!)
Unread 07-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #10
Premier Designs

Welcome ..
Unread 07-23-2015, 06:19 PM   #11
Marge

Welcome to the Forum Isaac!
Unread 07-26-2015, 06:40 AM   #12
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi, Isaac. Glad to have ya.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote