Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-23-2005, 08:59 AM   #16
induray

Put a fork in me, I'm done

Se ve muy bien....Well, I'm done. Wait.....need to get some Advils. Ok, I'm back... Well, this is my take on dry setting. The advantage is that at least you can walk over the tile after the mortar is set. You run less risk of incurring in stained tile due to accidents.(Have kids?dogs?). I did the kitchen, so dry setting for me was less risky. Used a fortifier with your mortar and you'll be fine. I did my living room six years ago and still looking good...as a matter of fact I had to remove a couple of tiles (not because they were bad but because I needed to merge my kitchen tiles with the living room ) and they were BONDED! I had to chip little sections at a time since it would not shear off the entire tile. I agree with the grout, it will dry out quick. Just make your grout mix a little bit soupy. I sprayed water to keep it a little wet. But in the end you'll be fine. Make sure that you seal all your tile 99-100%. Use a water drop test. It should bead and should not stain the tile.
Gotta go......warm bath waiting....ouch
induray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2005, 09:32 PM   #17
whatoozy

I hear ya on Thompson's water sealer....it's wasted money, too. Might as well p1ss on it.

Use an AFM (Redgard at HD) for any concrete cracks. Take your pick on pre-sealing or wet-setting. Mix your grout soupy, soupier if you do this in hotter weather. I listened to some of these guys here and colored my saltillo with a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits because I wanted a deeper, richer color than the oranges I had. It worked fabulously. Also evened out my gray grout color shading. I mopped that on a few coats and let dry for 2 weeks. Finished out with my mega-coats of sealer. Floor turned out wonderful !! Good luck to ya and thanks to all for the advice...

Jeff
Foat Wuth, Tayhas.....yeehaw
whatoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2005, 09:44 PM   #18
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hey Jeff, Welcome!

Glad to hear it all worked out for you!

Got any pics to share?

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase