Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Marilee Ruggles

Best material to level a knee wall 1/2 inch?

Hello,

Well the "ongoing repair"...of a knee wall for a walk in shower. All sub materials were removed and repaired (due to being wet) but the cb on top of the knee wall is 1/2" off (yes thats right) from where it connects to the back shower wall to the front (the back is too low)... no problem with the slope into the shower. This is only over 3 feet. So how would you level that out? another piece of cb over thinset? or can I float something (thinset?). I really dont want to make the front end any higher, because this low end is the perfect height to match up tiles that keep going in the rest of the bathroom. How thick an application of thinset can you use? It seems the frame was not level. Nice to know now... I feel really stupid. I did not do the interior repair myself. But I am going to finish tiling the wall. I am a total newbie, and I have learned that repairs are way harder than starting from scratch!

Last edited by Marilee Ruggles; 05-21-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: typo
Marilee Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I would set the tile on that wall first it will be level, then add fatmud (masons mix)over some thinset onto the low end and use the tile set to screed it flat,then tileover that next day.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
Marilee Ruggles

Thanks for the idea on the fat mud, thats what i was looking for! I am ready to roll... thanks.
Marilee Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase