Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-08-2007, 04:17 AM   #1
biondanonima

3-wall tub w/knee wall - how to tile and top it?

I'm having a knee wall built in my bathroom to allow for a 3-wall alcove tub and a glass shower wall/screen to be installed. The shower valve will be mounted inside the knee wall with the riser coming out the top. See attached sketch for details!

I don't know how thick the knee wall needs to be to accomodate a shower valve and such, but I assume it will be the standard 5". I want it to end flush with the edge of the bathtub, instead of having it extend past the edge as shown. Is this possible, or will I have leakage problems? My bathroom is VERY narrow (less than 5 ft. wide) so I don't want anything extending any farther than absolutely necessary.

I'm planning to top the knee wall with a glass slab - I am hoping to have something fabricated by the people who do my shower door. The riser will be mounted outside of the glass wall, so I shouldn't have problems with water leaking into the riser hole - I hope. Any better ideas are more than welcome!

Anyway, this means that I'll have a 5" wide area to tile with 3x6 white subways. Hm. How do I get 2 finished edges on a 5" area with 3x6 tiles? Do I even need finished edges on both sides? I ordered 3" bullnose to do the outcorner, so can I just use those and leave the cut, non-bullnosed side flush with the edge of the tub? Will that look weird and unfinished, or will it be hidden by caulk? Also, will it look strange to have those tiles stacked when all the rest of the room is done in a running brick pattern? Should I order some 6" bullnose pieces and run them vertically to make a kind of border on that edge? Or could I have my tile guy do a mitered outcorner? Opinions appreciated - thank you!
Attached Images

biondanonima is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi and welcome. The whole thing with the riser pipe coming out of the top of the pony wall is unusual. I guess you plan on the shower head sticking out over the glass panel. The shower head is usually braced and anchored, your's will be just floating there without support. If you are wanting the plumbing expossed, I would probably go ahead and build the wall higher and use a shower valve like I show in the picher.

You can get bullnose in the same color, either a mud type radius bullnose or a surface bullnose to line up along each edge of the wall, may need a small cut piece between the two bullnoses.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
biondanonima

Hi Davy - thanks! I know it's an unusual arrangement, but that's because it's an unusual bathroom. My original plan was to build the wall all the way up as you suggested, but because my bathroom is SO small and narrow, I was worried that it would close off the room too much. Someone from the Garden Web forums posted that sketch for me and I could see that it was the perfect solution! I know that showerheads can be heavy, so I was planning on buying a simple and smallish model. I will also be anchoring the riser to the glass and the glass to the wall (stud) with a chrome bar. The knee wall will be around 35-40" high to add some support.

Anyway, as far as the tiling is concerned, I'm not sure I understand what you mean about bullnose - do you mean I should get 6" bullnose, trim them to 2.5" and lay them vertically so that there is a bullnose edge on both sides of the wall and a vertical grout line down the middle? That could work! However, do you know if it's okay to just leave the edge that will be next to the tub un-bullnosed? I assume that caulk will cover most of that anyway. Thanks for your help!
Unread 08-09-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I don't have a picher of the bullnose but I'm talking about placing two rows of bullnose on top of the wall facing opposite directions and over hanging the wall tile.

Well, I have a glass block picher that shows bullnose over hanging the wall tiles.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 08-10-2007, 01:15 PM   #5
biondanonima

AHA! I get it now - thank you! That's a great idea for the top of the knee wall. I'm still not clear if/how it will work for the end of the knee wall, though - would the mud type bullnose tiles extend over the edge of the tub slightly? Thank you!
Unread 08-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'm not sure what you are asking. The tile usually goes right down to the tub without a bullnose.

The end of the wall would have two outcorners and a small piece of tile between the corners.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 08-11-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
biondanonima

Okay, I think I get it now - you're saying that I should leave a little stub of wall extending past the tub and use an outcorner pieces to tile both sides of it (with a small piece of tile inbetween) instead of using bullnose on the outcorners, right? The problem is, I don't want to leave a little stub of wall extending past the tub - I want to end it flush with the side of the tub. Is this possible, or will I have leak issues by joining the wall edge flat with the tub edge instead of at a 90 degree angle?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase