Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-26-2020, 08:15 AM   #1
Ashjcar

Edging trim doesn't look great, possible to fix?

Hello, during the bathroom remodel I've asked the contractor to use the edging trim in lieu of bullnose tile, and he unexpectedly used it around shower niche, please see the image. The tiles haven't been grouted yet, and I haven't talked to the contractor. I'd like to get an idea if tiles can be repositioned after they've been affixed, but not grouted. One of the images shows how I wanted the niche tiled. A second question is does the rest of the tiling look okay. Thank you very much for your help!
Attached Images

Last edited by Ashjcar; 11-26-2020 at 08:25 AM.
Ashjcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-26-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Thanks for joining the forum and welcome!

There are a few things that need some clarification here:

Quote:
I've asked the contractor to use the edging trim in lieu of bullnose tile, and he unexpectedly used it around shower niche
Why was it unexpected that he used it around the niche? Did you provide him a bullnose tile to use instead?

Did the contractor do the tile inside and outside the tub area? or just inside the tub area?

Did he provide a reason why he chose not to match the grout joints inside the niche with the tiles outside the niche?

Tired of bullnose tile trim? Here are 5 edge trim alternatives ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
Ashjcar

Hello, appreciate the response!

I didn't realize the niche required bullnose tile. From the images I saw online, it didn't seem like it was needed. I thought it could be finished like the niche in the last picture.

The contractor did all the tile in the bathroom, both inside and outside the tub area.

Answer to your third question, I will find out why he chose not to match the joints. I do know that he put a box inside the niche before he tiled.

I just wanted to find out a little background information before approaching him with the possibility of redoing the niche.

Thank you!
Unread 12-20-2020, 11:41 PM   #4
Ashjcar

New grout turns dark color after showering

Looking for an advice what might be causing the grout between the newly installed bathtub and the floor to turn dark after about 10-15 minutes running the water. The before and after pictures show the outside wall of the bathtub and the new green tile, which is on the same wall as the shower fixtures. We made sure the water doesn't escape over the side of the tub. Could it be a leak in the wall or the drain of the tub, or is it more likely moisture. The grout hasn't been sealed yet.

Thank you!
Attached Images

Last edited by Ashjcar; 12-20-2020 at 11:51 PM.
Ashjcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2020, 12:03 AM   #5
Handy Heather
Handy Heather

If the grout outside of the bathtub turns dark it means it is most likely wet. Look under the bathtub and check for any leaks. It could be wrongly installed or missing a drain gasket. By the way, the quality of the work I see in your picture looks poor, not like a professional job to me. After the new installation, there is already a crack between the bathtub and the tile. The grout was not professionally cleaned and the silicone shouldn't be there at all.
Handy Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2020, 08:13 AM   #6
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Ash.

Do you have a shower curtain to keep water in the tub, or a door? I didn't see evidence of either.

If that grout is turning dark, then back to normal after a while, it's getting wet, but you need to determine the source of that water, which is why I asked about a shower curtain.

If it's running out of the tub and onto the floor, that may be an easy fix. If it's getting behind the tile and tub, then getting to the grout from behind, that's a more serious problem.

On a side note, that area where tile meets the tub shouldn't have been grouted at all. Movement has caused the crack you see between the grout and tub. That should have gotten a color-matched 100% silicone caulk. Silicone remains flexible and won't crack like grout will.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2020, 08:21 AM   #7
Kman

I just now saw the part of your post that you made sure it's not escaping out of the tub, so it's a more serious problem.

Do you have any pictures of the tub during installation, particularly before and during the waterproofing phase, assuming it was waterproofed?

I'm also interested if there is a flange around the perimeter of the tub.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2020, 09:33 AM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

I've combined your threads on this project here, Ash, for continuity. Please keep all the project questions on this thread. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

In addition to Kevin's recommendations, I'd suggest you plug the tub drain and fill the tub with an inch of water from a different source. A source other than the shower plumbing. Bucket it in from somewhere else. That should tell you if you have a drain problem or perhaps a plumbing problem with the pressure water to the shower.

And I agree that the grout work looks a bit sloppy and that there should be no grout at that joint at all.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2020, 10:33 AM   #9
Ashjcar

Thank you for all the responses, I will try the test of filling up the tub from a different source and letting it drain. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture when the tub was being installed, but it's a standard Kohler, so it does have a flange along the edges. We did see a large stain on in that area of the subfloor prior to remodel, and that was one of the reasons for remodel. So, you think it's possible the water is getting from underneath the tub, that would be quite a puddle under there, and the grout drying out in an about an hour?
Unread 12-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #10
Handy Heather
Handy Heather

Ash, I just noticed your tiling niche questions. The niche example that you wanted yours to look like is unfortunately science fiction for many installers. The key point in making it right is simple. First, put all cement boards in place and waterproof your project. Then tile it until the point of the future niche. Then cut the opening for the niche, create and waterproof it then you will be sure the project will be precise.
See my below picture of a recent project for reference.
Attached Images

Handy Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2020, 10:14 PM   #11
Ashjcar

Hello,

Thank you for the great advice! I did the bucket test (filling tub from another source), and it turns out the drain is not leaking. But it was a good way to confirm it wasn't the drain. I ran a few showers, hot and cold. Grout was still bone dry.

Finally I found the problem, I ran the shower, covered the grout in tape to protect it from water, and sprayed the shower head facing the wall of the shower fixtures, directly above the shower faucet. Its a single handle shower faucet with a plate. There is no calking and a noticeable gap between the tile and the faucet plate. And there it was, my grout instantly turned dark, even behind the tape. I replicated the test twice.

I will have my contractor repair, I'm disappointed it wasn't done right the first time. Hopefully it can be done nicely. I also noticed that the grout was starting to crack near where the flange is on the tub directly underneath the faucet. What do you recommend to fill the gap between the tiles and the plate? Any advice on the best way to stop the water from getting through would be great!

Handy Heather you talked about the shower niche, the niche was prepped with a plastic shower niche shelf. I wasn't involved enough to know if it was waterproofed. But the shelf was grouted and the grout has already cracked in the corners. :/ My mistake for not watching my contractor closely, I didn't know much about bathroom repairs until I found problems.

Thank you for your responses!
Unread 12-30-2020, 08:04 AM   #12
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Good detective work, Ash. We, too, hope your contractor can remedy the leak around the faucet cover plate. Honestly though, there really shouldn't be a gap there once the cover plate is tightened down. Maybe you have a photo of the gap?

For the cracking grout you mentioned, do you mean it is cracking at the joint between the tub and the wall tile? If so, that joint should not have grout in it at all, it should have 100% silicone caulk to allow for differential movement between the wall and tub. Perhaps you've a photo of that area too. And just to add, anywhere where there is a change of planes, such as the inside corners of the shower walls, should also have caulk, not grout.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase