Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #1
Syrup44

Remove grout or replace tiles -ceramic

Hey all, first time posting in here. Recently did a tile project with a friend and we unfortunately let the grout dry too much before wiping so its stuck. Its a latex modified sanded cement grout, don't remember the name off hand on ceramic tiles. Anyways, after perusing the forum, tried the haze remover which worked on the light spots, and sulfamic acid crystals which didn't work all that well. Weve been trying to scrub them with dobie sponges and the green scotchbrite pads but havent had any success. Anything else you guys/gals recommend or am I cutting our losses and start replacing the tiles
Attached Images

Unread 10-28-2018, 04:48 PM   #2
DRose

You might try some Lift Off Latex paint remover that has been recommended by some on this forum. So far it is working for me. I spray it on a rag, wipe the tile with the rag until I get everything off, follow up with a clean wet microfiber cloth then a dry microfiber cloth.
Unread 10-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

That looks like relatively smooth tile. Okay. I'd use a 4" wallpaper razor scraper with a new blade. Run the scraper to the edge of the little "island" of grout and swing the handle left and right while pressing forward.

PLEASE EXCERCISE EXTREME CAUTION AND NEVER PUT ANY BODY PARTS IN FRONT OF THE BLADE!

Once you get most of the grout removed, you can finish the tiny remnants with the haze remover that was working for you. Now, beware that the scraper is likely to leave small metal deposits on the tile, most commonly referred to as "metal marks". These can be very easily removed with POWDERED "Bar Keepers Friend" cleaner. Use a damp paper towel with a tiny bit of the powder and it'll come off within several seconds.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
Syrup44

Thanks for the suggestions. The wallpaper scraper and the haze remover without dilution actually seemed to work. Still have some touch up spots to fix but overall took off most of the stubborn grout in just a couple hours. Lift off definitely seemed to loosen it.
Unread 10-30-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Keep going with what works. Glad to hear.

Make sure to rinse the floor with water to neutralize the pH after you’re all done. This step is likely printed in the directions of the haze remover, but it’s easy to overlook.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase