Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-24-2020, 07:54 AM   #16
tl1552

12x24 Determining Grout Space

I'm working with a 12x24 non-rectified porcelain. I'm trying to determine what grout space I should go with.

I've checked the straightness of a couple of tiles by butting them edge to edge and there seems to be no gaps or deviation. Also all of my tiles have the same lot / grade number printed on the box.

Also I have a bunch of QEP leveling clips left over from another job that I'm thinking of using as well.

- Should I go with 3/16" or 1/4" plastic spacers?

- Is using the leveling clips along with the spacers worth it?
Unread 11-24-2020, 08:15 AM   #17
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

You're going to want a continuous rim blade for your grinder and make sure that you use the guard.

What the plywood helps with, in that video, is that it offers support, for one thing, but also it keeps the blade from plunging too far down.

You might try scoring the top of the tile from end-to-end first with the grinder before cutting it all of the way through in one pass. That way, if the tile breaks at the end it'll be inclined to break at the score that you've cut.

Also, I tend to agree with Davy. It never seems to work to get things to go in the same way twice. But, that's not to say that it's impossible.

Tired of bullnose tile trim? Here are 5 edge trim alternatives ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #18
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Tino.

I've combined four of your threads on this project here for continuity and so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. I see that there are at least two other threads from back in April about your subfloor and if those are part of the same project we can combine those here, too. A moderator can give the thread a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

The grout joist width is best determined by the method specified by the ceramic tile industry recommendation that the joint be at least three times the difference in size between the largest and smallest tiles in your layout.

With a "non-rectified" tile the size you have, I'd expect a 3/16th" joint to be about the minimum you can use effectively, but until you see how well calibrated your particular tile are it's difficult to tell. Get half a dozen or more of your tile and stand them on edge face to back and lay a straight-edge across the top edges to see what the actual difference is.

And while you can use spacers if you want, you'll still do better if you snap layout lines on your floor before you start setting and lay your tiles with reference to those lines.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #19
tl1552

If I end up going with 1/4" spacers is it still worth using leveling clips?
Unread 11-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #20
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Depends on how skilled you are at troweling on a very consistent thickness of thinset mortar and skilled you are at setting each tile to the same depth in the mortar as the the adjoining tiles.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2020, 09:30 AM   #21
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

The 1/4 inch grout joints will help your cause. It's hard to say whether or not you should use a leveling system.

FWIW, this thread would be better off as 4 separate threads.

Unread 11-29-2020, 09:00 PM   #22
tl1552

So my tile installation was successful. I went with the leveling clips + 1/4 spacers and I'm happy with the result.

As a tip to any newcomers reading this always have some extra batteries on hand for your laser. Mine died before I was able to finalize the last row.

A few questions:

- How long before I should grout? The Mapei unmodified I used mortar says 24~48 hr.

- Can I go beyond 48 hr before grouting?

- How long after grouting should I wait before reinstalling the washer and dryer that will live in this space?

- Laying that tile (not including cutting time or mortar mixing time) took me just under 2hr. How long would it take a pro?
Attached Images

Unread 11-30-2020, 07:45 AM   #23
tl1552

Ultracolor Plus FA Grout - Any Tips?

I'm going to be using Ultracolor Plus FA Grout on a 12x24 matte finish porcelain floor.

I've read this grout behaves different than normal cement based grout and can be more challenging to clean off.

Any tips or advice from people who have used this product?
Unread 11-30-2020, 09:09 AM   #24
ss3964spd

You ought to be able to grout that right now.

Since a washer and dryer are going in there I'd give the grout a day to cure before moving them back in, but would wait a week before using them.
Unread 11-30-2020, 10:08 AM   #25
ss3964spd

Tino, we've merged your threads, please keep all question regarding your project in one place.

I've read that many people have used Ultracolor Plus FA grout. You might want to do a search on it here, lots of feedback.
Unread 11-30-2020, 11:59 AM   #26
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

You shouldn't have any issues with Ultracolor on that tile. But when it kicks it kicks fast. Your floor is small and the tiles are big so you'll be fine.

Two hours seems like a pretty good time to me.

Unread 11-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #27
cbaum

Read the directions carefully for the ultracolor FA. It sets FAST. Like 15 minutes. If you don’t clean it up right away and it sets, you are in trouble. Also, this likely doesn’t apply here since it’s almost winter, but if it’s hot you need to pay special care to the directions.
Unread 11-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #28
cx
Moderator emeritus

Charlie, "here" would mean a lot more if you'd put a geographic location into your User Profile, eh?

Unread 11-30-2020, 08:01 PM   #29
tl1552

If I seal up my open bags of mortar, modified cement and grout how long are they good for if stored in a dry location?
Unread 11-30-2020, 10:17 PM   #30
cx
Moderator emeritus

If you keep it for a couple weeks it might all be OK, Tino. If you keep it a couple months its best purpose might be the packaging to determine exactly what it was you used so you can purchase more. The material might still be usable, or it might not. But that's just a guess.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase