Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 11-22-2020, 09:28 AM   #226
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
While it does appear to have some similarities to the USG drain it certainly looks as though it isn't the same, but slightly revised, product at all.

The adjustment shims, appearing to be different thicknesses, are to raise/lower the grate holder. And no, the USG assembly didn't have those. Can't tell if there is any horizontal adjustment.

I'd like to see a photo or two of the grates. The USG grate I have has a stamped, thin stainless cover over a hard plastic base, making that assembly fairly thick.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2020, 04:49 PM   #227
smifwal

I got the drains today but didn't really have time to play with them but it appears that there is some wiggle room for side to side adjustment and the spacers are what bring it up to the height of the tile. I will take some picture and will probably make a video. Paul has this video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsRaBvMhrsY
Unread 11-24-2020, 03:16 PM   #228
smifwal

So that grate holder measures just a hair over 1/2 in and when you set it in the hole with the grate snapped in no spacers, it is 1/8 above the drain body. And they sent me a T-shirt with my order

https://youtu.be/1ViFrgMYXvc
Unread 11-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #229
smifwal

So you don't have to keep pausing the video to read the box
Attached Images

Unread 11-24-2020, 04:25 PM   #230
smifwal

Installation instructions
Attached Images

Unread 11-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #231
smifwal

More
Attached Images

Unread 11-24-2020, 08:17 PM   #232
cx
Moderator emeritus

I can't read the print well, Shawn. Is that saying Minimal Adjustment Gap on the Horizontal Adjustment page?

I've gotten no response to my query about the patent status of the USG Durock Shower System Drain.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2020, 09:37 PM   #233
smifwal

It said for ease of mosaic installation

I'm getting ready to head to bed but tomorrow when I get home from work I will zoom these in and crop them and repost them
Unread 11-26-2020, 08:31 AM   #234
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Here's the website that might have some information. I believe a UPC code is in the works but not yet approved.

It wasn't until I saw Shawn's photos that I realized this drain had a weep system. I had assumed it didn't.

Tired of bullnose tile trim? Here are 5 edge trim alternatives ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2020, 09:49 PM   #235
cx
Moderator emeritus

Spoke with the owner of the USG Durock Shower System and he indicated that he does indeed have a patent on the drain for that system. Agreed that the one Shawn discovered is sufficiently different that it does not likely infringe.

Also says the return of the Durock Shower System membrane is still a possibility, but that's a different discussion, eh?

Unread 12-03-2020, 10:30 PM   #236
smifwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
Also says the return of the Durock Shower System membrane is still a possibility,
Hope it is soon, I didn't stock up near enough membrane for this extended period.

Last edited by smifwal; 12-04-2020 at 10:59 AM.
smifwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2020, 09:22 AM   #237
cx
Moderator emeritus

Understand, Shawn. I've got one roll left and I don't do showers any more, but a fella never knows when he might get an offer he can't refuse, eh?

Unread 12-05-2020, 04:17 PM   #238
speed51133

What's the owner of the durock system's name??

I can look up the patent, see when it expires, what exactly it covers, and how many patents he has.
Edit, THINK I found them.

Crash course in patent law. These patents have what is called CLAIMS. The claims define the legal protection. The body and drawings of the patent explain the background and give support to the claims. In order for someone to infringe the patent they need to make, sell, or offer to sell (in the US) each and EVERY element of the claim. Without going down the rabbit hole of law, these are the basics. Take the patent immediately below. It lists slotted openings. If you did not have slotted opening you cannot infringe that claim. There may be other claims in the patent, but if they refer back to claim 1, and you don't infringe claim 1, then you do not infringe the patent. Now would something as simple as square openings instead of slots "get around" the patent? I would have to research it, but likely yes, it would get around the patent.

https://analytics.patsnap.com/patent...2-41c27f046eca
1. A combination for plumbing fixtures comprising: a substantially planar shower tray bonding disk on a flooring substrate and surrounded by a prefabricated polymer foam shower tray on said flooring substrate and at the circumference of said bonding disk; said disk including an interior rim that defines a drain opening and a plurality of slotted openings for permitting mortar to penetrate the disk; and said drain opening in said disk being positioned at a drain cutout in said flooring substrate.

https://analytics.patsnap.com/patent...b-f46df20d1086
1. A combination for plumbing fixtures comprising: a substantially planar shower tray bonding element that defines a drain opening; said planar bonding element including a plurality of openings outside of said defined drain opening for allowing mortar to penetrate said bonding element; and a prefabricated shower tray surrounding said planar bonding element at the perimeter of said bonding element.

https://analytics.patsnap.com/patent...9-609352ae930d
1. A flanged plumbing fixture comprising a main fixture body with a planar flange projecting laterally therefrom, the flange having a rigid planar thermoplastic core layer having opposing outwardly facing planar surfaces with two planar fabric layers coextensive with the opposing planar surfaces of the thermoplastic core layer and fused respectively to the opposing planar surfaces each planar fabric layer being comprised of a plurality of textile fibers interengaged with each other in a textile structure defining interstices between the fibers, each planar fabric layer forming respective outwardly exposed faces of the fixture presenting an open three-dimensional mortar-bondable fabric structure suitable for interstitially receiving and bonding with a plumbing mortar.

https://analytics.patsnap.com/patent...8-eb5c6a03b290
1. A composite backer board for wet space construction, said board consisting essentially of: a rigid foam core of a suitable thickness for wet space construction; a first polymeric adhesive; a first fabric layer fixed with the first polymeric adhesive to a face of said rigid foam core; a first polymeric film on said first fabric layer in which the polymeric film is dimensionally stable parallel to said face of said rigid foam core; and a second fabric layer on said first polymeric film opposite said first fabric layer and forming a first face that is amenable to thin set mortar and related compositions in wet space construction.

https://analytics.patsnap.com/patent...8-598e32823a94
1. A waterproofing assembly for a built-in shower drain which comprises: An upper grate, A drain body, A clamping ring placed between the upper grate and the drain body, an adaptive device configured to connect a waterproofing to a built-in shower drain, placed between the upper grate and the drain body, which comprises a body made up of an upper section with a through hole and a lower section with a through hole in parallel arrangement at different levels, the upper and lower sections joined together by means of a deformable intermediate section which is capable of folding by means of at least one fold line; and A template piece configured to be placed on the clamping ring, which comprises a body of a rigid material which has an upper surface and a lower surface with a central through hole, the surfaces being separable from one another, the upper and lower surfaces joined together by means of an intermediate section, the lower surface having a plurality of protuberances, in which at least one of the protuberances has a through hole, the adaptive device and the template piece being axially aligned with respect to a drain body and the clamping ring.

Are these the ex Durock system? Looks like they all have around 14 years of life to them.

Last edited by speed51133; 12-05-2020 at 04:31 PM.
speed51133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #239
cx
Moderator emeritus

The first four that list MGNT as Current Assignee are likely correct, Mike. That last one listing ESTIL GURU likely is not.

Unread 12-05-2020, 08:47 PM   #240
speed51133

Correct. I included that last one by accident

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase