Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 03-27-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
lati_cz
michal

recessed lights calculation help

I am doing kitchen remodel 19 x 19.6".
We are installing recessed lights http://www.waclighting.com/product/3219
Beam is 40', color 3000 k , CRI 90, 1220 lumens
The kitchen will work also as family/hang out room. There will be large 2 x 10' kitchen island centered with oversized pendant light(s) - not picked yet.
Upper kitchen cabinets will have undermount LED strip.

I used manufacturer calculation, it shows to use 12 recessed lights. I installed today, looks like a lot..... Customer is ok with it, but I don't want create "jewelery shop".

9 would create better pattern and create less issues with location of lights above island. My question is, will 9 be enough to light up, considering there will be another large light above island?

Thank you for input. Michal

Last edited by lati_cz; 03-27-2019 at 06:53 PM.
lati_cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-27-2019, 08:41 PM   #2
Gozo

The lux calculators on the lighting company websites are usually a good guide. As an example, my kitchen is about 15x12 and we have 15 x 800 lumen recessed lamps and it’s nowhere near too much. A kitchen is a detail task area, unlike say a bedroom (yeah, I know....), so you’d want more light on the work surfaces. One thing we did was put the lamps over the counters, closer to the cabinets than you usually see. You’ll be surprised how much the work surface illumination drops with the lights more towards the center of the room, leaving your body to block the direct beam to the counter area.
I think there are phone apps that act as a light meter to measure the illumination where you’ll be using it.

Take a look at the title article in ProRemodeler March 2018 at: http://editiondigital.net/publication?i=478831

Last edited by Gozo; 03-27-2019 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Found the link I was thinking of for this.
Gozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2019, 10:38 PM   #3
lati_cz
michal

I am going through article you posted, thank you.
HO decided to go with 9 lights, I hope it will be enough.
I am glad he decided and it's not on me.
Attic is not accessible and lights are pita to install...
Thank you

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase