Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #1
kendog2

Grouting Problem: Stone Glass Accent Tile

We are preparing to grout our shower. For the 18” wall tile, we chose Polyblend sanded grout to match the tile (Haystack color). The accent trim is a random stone and glass mosaic tile which was sealed with an enhancing sealer before grouting. I grouted a small test piece of the mosaic tile with the Haystack color grout hoping that we could grout everything the same color.

I didn’t like the Haystack color on the mosaic tile at all. I then tried two darker grout colors, New Taupe and Truffle. The new Taupe might work but the dark grout filled the tiny holes in the light colored stone making it look dirty which is totally unacceptable. I love the way the accent tile looks without grout. (Too bad we can’t just leave it that way.)

It seems important to fill the holes in the stone with grout to prevent them from filling up with soap scum and becoming difficult to clean. I would like to use an off-white grout for this purpose. However, I think darker grout looks better in the grout lines. Would it be feasible to rub white grout over the stones to fill the holes and scrape the grout lines to prevent the light grout from sticking there? Then, cut little pieces of masking tape to place over the light stones to keep them from absorbing the darker grout when we install it in the grout lines?

If there is no other way to do this, I could probably manage since the shower is pretty small. However, we plan to install this same mosaic on the entire back wall above our bathroom counter. (About 5’ x 6’) Grouting in this manner would be an extremely time-consuming and tedious job. Would this be a crazy thing to do? Does anyone have a better idea? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Here are some photos of the accent tile (without grout) and the samples grouted with dark grout and with the lighter Haystack grout that we plan to use for the field tile.
Attached Images

Unread 10-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Something like this is personal preference. You may not like the grout colors we like. But, here we go anyway. The Haystack picks up the darker shades in the 18 inch tiles. I would pick a lighter color that picks up the lighter shades and grout it all with that. I might make a sample of it first like you did.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #3
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

Lighter looks better. Darker looks like its already dirty.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
kendog2

Thank you so much for sharing your opinions, Davy and Karl.

Karl, I agree. I was horrified when I saw how dirty the dark grout looks on the stone tile but I'm not impressed with the light color either.

Davy, you are correct that I matched the grout to the darker shades in the 18 inch tile. My thinking was that darker grout would show less dirt.

I will definitely get some lighter grout and make up samples to see how it looks. I highly respect the opinions of those who install tile for a living as you have a much better eye for how the finished project will look than I do.

I'll post some pictures once I finish the samples. Thanks again!
Unread 10-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It's a good idea to make samples, glad to see you going to that trouble to get it right.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase