Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 06-30-2020, 01:28 AM   #1
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

my wife makes me watch HGTV and have a question

all these home improvement shows i never see people wearing hearing protection wether they are using chainsaws, saws jackhammers etc and also people working on roofs without fall protection, i would have thought that USA being the land of the lawsuit that people would be xtra carefull, also its not always the weekend warriors sometimes its the pros.
Unread 06-30-2020, 12:23 PM   #2
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

anything over 2 meters here needs fall protection so if you are working on a roof it needs scaffolding with a kick rail and handrail, you arnt supposed to work off stepladders a stepladder is just a means to get to a work platform, new builds have netting fixed to the ceiling joists in case someone falls while working higher.
if you want more info google worksafe new zealand
Unread 06-30-2020, 03:28 PM   #3
jerrymlr1

I think it's all about liability Jim. If someone else is liable for what happens to you or anyone else because of you then you have to go by their rules. Those rules stem from insurance companies in most cases. If you are liable for what you do then you're free to do what and how you want, pretty much, and that's where common sense comes into play. On the other hand, the national parks here in the US have their own set of rules. There are some hiking trails that are treacherous and people have lost their lives on them. I was hiking thru Arches National Park and crossing the top of an area hundreds of feet long and as narrow as 6 feet in some areas along the way and the drop on both sides was at least over fifty 50 and a couple hundred in places. I came across a couple once that were scared out of their minds and couldn't move, just sitting there in the walk path. Not sure how that all worked out.
As for those boys on the TV, they must not have their insurance companies tellin em what to do so it's up to them how they work.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase